Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AU recoil plate - Who made it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AU recoil plate - Who made it?
    Posted: Nov 02 2020 at 5:08pm
For my customized Underwood stock, I picked up an AU marked recoil plate. I already had an underwood butt plate so I was set there. The plate is marked AU on the right side of the tang. I'm probably missing something totally obvious but was not able to find a maker. Does anyone know who made it?
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2020 at 6:41pm
I'm guessing from a Chief of Ordnance Memorandum Intraoffice list I have from 1944.

A could be:
1- American electric heater co.
2- Autoyre
3- Dayton Racquet Co

I have a bag of about 50 AU recoil plates, and looking forward to the correct answer.
Living Free because of those that serve.....
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2020 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

I'm guessing from a Chief of Ordnance Memorandum Intraoffice list I have from 1944.

A could be:
1- American electric heater co.
2- Autoyre
3- Dayton Racquet Co

I have a bag of about 50 AU recoil plates, and looking forward to the correct answer.

I have a copy of same and was looking earlier, broke open WB! and performed some quick forum searches but came up with nothing definitive.  Standing by as well. Approve
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2020 at 8:16pm
CCNL 202 lists subcontractor's codes. 
A= American Electric Heater Co
AU= Autoyre
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2020 at 8:49pm
Was 'SUB followed by PRIME' code markings, always adhered to?
So something like...

A= American Electric Heater Co ( AU ) ?
AU= Autoyre ( AUU ) ?

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2020 at 9:00pm
Nope
no
uh, nope

CCNL 202 is interesting, but the problem with it is a great many codes have been found to not lineup

Sub followed by prime was not always adhered to.

Short answer:
IMHO the AU recoil plate was made by Parker Wire Goods Co.

The long answer:
you are going to have to wait a few days for it, an article is coming.

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2020 at 9:12pm
 from a Chief of Ordnance Memorandum Intraoffice list I have from 1944.

Mine has been copied multiple times. You can see small pencil Check marks and ** and not legible foot notes as in Corrections. Boo Koo Edit Notes, Not a finish copy. And 44 is pretty late to be figuring out addendums and subtractions.

Worth a guess or 2 or 3.

Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2020 at 10:03pm
Well there are AU Mag catches and AU recoil plates. WB says that Parker Wire Goods Co was a subcontractor for both of these parts for Underwood, no code is listed for them. In WBIII it says the code for the Parker Wire Goods Co recoil plate is PU????? Standing by for the article.

Edited by W5USMC - Nov 02 2020 at 11:36pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2020 at 7:07am
While we wait; found this to be an informative read around Parker Wire Goods Co., which includes their name change during the war and affiliations with other wartime manufactures, like American Gunsight Co. 
 Post Reply Post Reply