The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plainfield Front Sight Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plainfield Front Sight Replacement
    Posted: Oct 18 2020 at 7:37pm
Anyone ever change the front sight on their Plainfield Carbine for a USGI one? Mine is a tad loose, not by much but I'm thinking of replacing the Plainfield barrel band on mine with a USGI Type 2 (before I loose the screw on the damn thing Big smile  ) anyway so I figure while I'm having that done and the front sights off might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2020 at 10:59pm
Yes.
You can replace it, or just add some loctite under it when you put it back on after the band change.

Just be aware that GI sights also vary in diameter a bit, so you may get a "tight or loose" fit-
depends on the sight and the barrel tolerances.
Don
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2020 at 11:20pm
Danke. I was thinking of doing the Loctite if I don't change the band. I need to find a smith with the right tool to take the front sight off anyway to change the band.....I'll see what happens
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2020 at 10:27am
Don,
you really don't "need" a tool, I've changed dozens of sights with punch, hammer, brass/plastic/wood drift. Especially if the sight is loose aready!

Use a short "starter" punch to get the sight pin moving, then a longer punch- 3/32" diameter will do.
Support the barrel/sight area on a block of wood, putting a groove and a hole to receive the pin will
make it easier to do. The pin is not tapered so it will drift out in either direction, if it is staked heavily,
I drive it toward the weaker/smaller staking; a little penetrant never hurts if you want to soak it.
I'm usually in a hurry and just do it.

If the pin does not want to move, or if on another carbine the front sight is "stuck", then you may need a front sight puller- if you do then you can search for same.
Don
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2020 at 10:51am
Danke, I might try and change it myself. I'm waiting a few weeks anyway, work has me on 6 days a week and my next "break" is Thanksgiving week. I'm thinking that would be a good weekend to mess with it Big smile  (it ain't like I'm getting any time between now and then to shoot the poor thing Cry )
 Post Reply Post Reply