Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AMPCO A93

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMPCO A93
    Posted: Oct 15 2020 at 10:22pm
FWIW,
I didn't recognize the name AMPCO after seeing #A93 listed on RIA's upcoming auction.
After looking over The Sleepless one's site on commercial carbines I seen the one he has there A102.
The one in the auction doesn't show a top view of the receiver or any pictures of it out of the stock.
I was able to see the front of the receiver has no raised hand guard recess. The front of the receiver isn't polished but has a rough look to it with no markings. The rear sight is a Type II milled marked PI. The Dovetail base looks shallow with the back end of the rear sight sitting flush on it.

Auction Link:

AMPCO Commercial Carbines Link:

Thanks Jim M !

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2020 at 10:58pm
I took note of that one while browsing the catalog for the upcoming auction and thought something was up with AMPCO, having never heard of them until this second. From looking at the photos, there seems to be a fair number of GI parts on it. Very interesting information though nonetheless, and I for one am interested to see what becomes of this one at auction in November.

Off topic but did you see that Universal 1000 they have in the catalog for the 10/30 auction? I'm not normally one for commercial carbines but man the wood on that one is gorgeous!
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2020 at 2:19pm
Thanks for spotting that one Charlie. I'd searched their catalog for M1 carbine and this one didn't pop up for some reason.

I've asked RIA for a photo of the top of the receiver from the bolt to the recoil plate screw. This is the lowest s/n I've seen so far. 101, 102, and 103 looked like prototypes they had yet to get right.

As I indicated on the AMPCO web page, AMPCO was offering receivers for sale in November 1960. Looks like someone built their own carbine with mostly surplus GI parts.

I'll post the pic here when they respond.

Jim
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2020 at 3:34pm
Hello Sleepless,
Thinking back I should have Emailed this to you.

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply