Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

universal gen3 hammer spring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shumba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: universal gen3 hammer spring
    Posted: Oct 15 2020 at 9:42am
getting some light primer strikes on korean surplus ammo with my gen 3 universal with the proprietary bolt with the firing pin spring.    the hammer spring when compared to a new surplus gi spring only has 22 coils and the new gi spring has 26 and is aprox 3/4 inch longer than the universal spring.   my question is did the universal gen 3 use a gi hammer spring or did they use a lessor spring to reduce the wear on the rear face of the bolt?
shumba View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shumba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2020 at 2:12pm
went ahead and installed the usgi hammer spring on the universal plunger.  i had to remove the hammer to install because the universal plunger doesn't have a take down hole in it's end.   installed the wolff extra power recoil springs also.  now it shoots and functions like it did back in the 1970's shooting lake city ammo.  this gun doesn't like weak under power ammo.  now to fix the loose rear adjustable sight that wiggles in the dovetail just a little.   any recommendations? 
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2020 at 5:58pm
Pretty sure they did not install a weak spring on purpose, that’s just the one they used, but it is not a bad idea to weaken the spring a bit to reduce the cast bolt pounding. Cast commercial bolts just will not hold-up like USGI bolts.

Curved-tip needle-nose pliers work to pull the strut back off the hammer and remove/install the spring. One does not usually have to take those out that often.
shumba View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shumba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2020 at 6:46pm
yes i agree the spring was just weak.  but the bolt on the gen 3 universal isn't cast. it is forged but it also isn't hardened to gi spec either.  there has been some that the rear of the bolt peened and flattened over time.  mine doesn't show any singes of any of those problems. 
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2020 at 6:54pm
Cherish that bolt....they can be hard to find. I was able to replace one in a IJ recently with a GI bolt. This IJ had a properly cut receiver bridge and allowed the conversion to a GI bolt. Many IJ and Universal owners are not that lucky.
shumba View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shumba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2020 at 7:06pm
you are correct. this gen 3 type doesn't have the receiver bridge. it depends on a firing pin return spring to prevent slam fires and the rear of the bolt is machined only to allow the hammer to contact the firing pin only if the bolt is rotated into lock.   some of them had problems with out of battery fire but this one is good. 
 Post Reply Post Reply