Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Wanted+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finish reamer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finish reamer
    Posted: Oct 10 2020 at 11:24am
Hi all, I will be working on a couple of project guns over the winter and will need to finish ream short chambered barrels. I'm close to buying the Pacific Tool & Gauge pull through reamer, but thought I'd see if anyone here has a reamer they won't be using.

Update: I bought a Dave Manson Precision 30 carbine headspace reamer set.

Edited by GotSnlB28 - Oct 31 2020 at 10:28pm
Old Doug View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2020 at 3:21pm
Are you interested in renting you reamer system or in doing a slight deepening of a chamber?

I own 10 different carbine manufacturer's.   My QHMC has a short chamber.  I bought out of a collection.  Tried 5 bolts and none will close/headspace with go or field.

Have sold my lathe, mill to friends gunshop and his gunsmith will do the work.  

Old Doug Hollberg  
Griffin, GA 
Patron NRA LIfe, Life DU and NSSA, Founding Life Sponsor Griffin Gun Club. 
America needs God, Guts and Guns!!!
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2020 at 4:12pm
I am building up a couple shooters with brand new Criterion barrels, and those barrels are short chambered. I just bit the bullet and bought the Manson pull through finish reamer, the whole setup was about $180 shipped. For more than one barrel, I figured it was worth it to buy -vs- rent.
Have the first one done and it gauges perfectly. When I get some time and finish sighting it in I was going to write a post on it.
Old Doug View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2020 at 6:07pm
sounds like you are doing well with the Criterion Barrels..

I would be willing to send you my barreled action or rent you system when you finish your project.

Thanks you  Old Doug  
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2020 at 11:58pm
Old Doug did you clean the chamber? Unless someone swapped the barrel with a new one it should not be short. I had one that appeared to be short chambered when I put a go gauge in it. Turned out to be what looked like a sliver of copper in the chamber.
Old Doug View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2020 at 3:21pm
thanks for the info.  Will use a brush on the chamber..  Old Doug
Old Doug View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2021 at 12:44pm
Thank you all for the advice and feedback.

I had cleaned the barrel prior to doing the Headspace checks.  However, there must have been some carbon in the front of the chamber.  After scrubbing with a flexible 45 ACP brass brush, I was successful in doing a Headspace exam.  
No Go wouldn't begin to enter the bolt lockup.  Go would lock up tightly with slight downward Pressure.  The Field would not allow the bolt to close.  Dummy rounds cycle fine.  
waiting for good weather to test fire.

Thank you all so very much.  Happy New Year. Old Doug Hollberg  Griffin, GA  

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2021 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Old Doug Old Doug wrote:

Go would lock up tightly with slight downward Pressure.  

Be very careful with your ammo. Most commercial brass runs comfortably close to 1.285-1.287. Nudging the go to close on a go gauge is okay....until you come across a round that might be loaded in brass longer than 1.290 or the chamber gets a little tight due to fouling or whatever. I have a tight Saginaw and have almost fired a long round the bolt did not rotate on. Carbine is not supposed to fire until the bolt is fully rotated....but it might.
 Post Reply Post Reply