The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Changed bolt springs, and cleaned bolt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changed bolt springs, and cleaned bolt
    Posted: Oct 10 2020 at 11:08am
 Hello- finally got around to changing my ejector/ spring and extractor spring . The first time at the range my s’g’ functioned well for the first ~50 rounds, but then started not extracting. This created jamming, and knocked the slide out of the receiver rail. After I got the bolt apart several things were obvious: the springs were all worn ( clearly compressed), and that the bolt was very gummed up with unknown gunk (cosmoline?) My question is: is it normal to have to use a lot of force to get the new springs to compress enough to re-install the exrtractor? After watching several videos it didn’t seem like they had much issue. Maybe due to their using worn springs when re assembling?
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2020 at 1:01pm
It’s been my experience that extractor springs measuring less than .400, either are or will become problematic. I have purchased them supposedly new from the package that measured .385-.388....and they would not work. It’s likely gun specific and some may extract with a short spring, for a while anyway. Needs to be out there around .420.

“Hard to push” is a subjective term. Best you can do is make sure the pocket is clean, the ejector is of spec. length and it’s lubed and assembled correctly. You might find that a different style plunger nose will help. Again, in my experience, the flat-faced ejector plungers are not always the best. That too can be gun specific. If the extractor plunger is that hard to assemble, make sure the pocket is clean, but you can have a spring too long just as well as one too short. What is the length of your extractor spring. Past .425 by much will be pushing what you can depress in the pocket.

Poor quality or underpowered ammo is a prime suspect in extraction and ejection issues.

1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2020 at 2:42pm
I've had a somewhat similar case happen with mine where the bolt disassembled itself while firing due to worn springs, and also too where it would not reliably extract rounds. Replacing everything with NOS USGI parts minus the firing pin got it functioning like new again. As far as installing the NOS parts goes, they were a bit on the tight side (tight enough to where I had to tap the extractor in with a small nylon hammer), but I got there in the end. For reassembly if I may ask, are you using a bolt tool or trying to do it by hand?
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2020 at 2:51pm
I was doing this with the bolt tool. To me it seemed like the tension of the ejector spring was the main culprit, but the extractor/ plunger could have contributed. This was my first time doing this. I want to take the bolt apart on my underwood (which I don’t shoot) to document parts- but hoping to not have issues since I won’t be replacing springs in the bolt.
The ammo being used initially was Korean surplus, but had issues with Winchester ammo as well. 

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2020 at 10:49pm
Bigheavy31,
I've been thru a few hundred but just had a nightmare.
Read my long winded reply near the bottom of this link about a battle I just had with a R and R job on a bolt in particular the Plunger and spring:

Good Luck,
Ch-P777

PS: Does your new Ejector stick out past the front of the Bolt edge?
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Bigheavy31 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigheavy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 1:31pm
Ch-p777- I had read your post prior to starting my rebuild, and found it helpful. I checked the recesses for any foreign matter during the clean. There are several variables that could have caused the challenges that I experienced to include the bolt tool itself. The ejector doesn’t stick out any more than the one on my other carbine which is the original one it was assembled with- so that is good. Just cycling a few rounds ( not firing) the bolt seems to be functioning better than it was prior to replacing the springs. 
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 1:39pm
Good News,
She sounds ready to go.
A few of my early carbines have the long stem plunger and seem much easier to install.
I wish they all did but assume they shortened the stem in case of grime build up in the hole ?
Sometimes the little things are gonna fight back.

Appreciate the follow up,

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply