Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Magazine Springs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101Abn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magazine Springs?
    Posted: Oct 09 2020 at 9:01am
In Viet Nam we loaded 18 rounds in a 20-round magazine. There was a rumor or superstition that it improved reliability. Rumors and superstitions were like gospel almost-you never wanted to go against them for fear of bad luck. Whether loading 18 rounds versus 20 made any real difference I'll never know.

Whenever we were in a basecamp getting ready for a major operation we traded in our magazines and ammo for new stuff. I don't know if it was necessary, but it did make you feel better thinking that you were less likely to get a jam at the wrong time.

How about the USGI and Korean magazines and their springs? How do you tell if you should replace them? Is Wolff the way to go for replacement springs? Do you load them with fewer rounds.

How long do you think that you can store them fully loaded? I understand that "modern" springs are far better than older ones and don't take a memory like older ones have been known or thought to do.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2020 at 8:35pm
I store my mags empty, but I keep stripper clips with them so I can load 10 in seconds. If you need some 10 round strippers, send me your address and I'll fire a few off to you.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
101Abn View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101Abn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2020 at 8:52pm
Thank you. I have some Korean Ammo that came on stripper clips. I have never used them, so will have to learn how.
 Post Reply Post Reply