The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sear installation tool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimcobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sear installation tool
    Posted: Oct 06 2020 at 7:54pm
Hi, all. Due to my fat fingers I was having a heck of a time getting the sear into position so I could push in the pin. I sacrificed a small screwdriver and, with the help of a torch, beat it into this shape. Works great, I can position the sear with ease. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2020 at 8:16pm
A shortened trigger pin also works great, put the sear on the trigger with the short pin, hold the trigger and sear in place in the trigger housing, push the shortened pin out with the real pin from either side and your done. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jimcobber View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimcobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2020 at 8:27pm
Great idea! I took this route because it involved beating on stuff with a hammer. :-)
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2020 at 12:31am
Jim, Always more than one way to skin a cat.
I too use the short pin at times.
There is however a USGI tool to do that, and the little secret is that it comes with your carbine!

Use the end to left (as pictures) of the slide spring guide rod to pull the sear in place.

One of our members made a bunch of great videos. In one of them he uses a hammer to pull the sear into place.
You can find it in here
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2020 at 7:01am
i use a short piece of a Q-tip shaft
al
jimcobber View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jimcobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2020 at 10:31am
I'll be damned, you can use the hammer as the sear placement tool... Doh!   

Oh, well it was fun making the tool. Thanks, Guys!
jimcobber View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimcobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2020 at 5:29pm
OK, I tried different ways of installing the sear and the short pin is the hot setup. Not even close! OK my tool goes into my "odd tools" bin. I think it will be useful to pull springs into place. Thanks, All!
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2020 at 9:51pm
That's actually pretty nifty! I always used the hammer to position the sear then pushed the pin in.
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2020 at 11:26pm
A cut down #6 or #8 (Can't remember) finish nail will work as the short pin. Cut a bit longer than needed then while holding with pliers just touch each end to a fine grinding wheel.

I tend to loose them, so I make up a dozen at a time.

Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Uncle Mike View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2020 at 11:35am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

One of our members made a bunch of great videos. In one of them he uses a hammer to pull the sear into place.
You can find it in here
Hi, NICE, thanks, Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply