Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hammer Marking ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hammer Marking ??
    Posted: Sep 22 2020 at 11:39pm
Just seen this on a WRA 5,66
No description of parts. Pictures show it's a mixer with this straight hammer.
I don't recall ever seeing this marking.
Any one Know the Markings, Maker and Usage ?

Thanks
Ch-P777

Left Side:

Right Side: 

Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2020 at 8:27am
Well that is certainly a worn stamping.
It almost looks like the Army Corps of Engineers symbol

Corps Castle - Wikipedia
But it is not that!

It is  I-I

War Baby lists it as Forgings by International silver
CCNL 353-12 lists it as Inland
The marking on the back is what I am having trouble deciphering.
Checking several they seem to have an I or a T in random places, But nothing that I look at jumps out as an actual marking. Maybe some sl*g made those markings in the forging process.

If anyone has an I-I hammer take a look at the rear and report any markings.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2020 at 8:53am
I agree it's an I-I. Often found on later Inlands. I have a bunch of them and can check closer but it will take me some time to dig them out, disassemble, and check. Off hand, I don't recall seeing other codes on them.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2020 at 6:53pm
I do believe it's the first hammer I've seen with this style marking.
I thought it might be cast but wasn't sure.
At 1st glance it also had me thinking about The Army Corp of Engineers. 

My Father served 2 tours in WWII as a Engineer in the Philippines. When he shipped out from San Francisco he didn't know where they were heading. At first light he seen the sun rise on his right and was sick to his stomach thinking he was heading for Alaska because of the Japanese being there or thought he might end up on the AlCan highway. He had seen cold weather gear in the cargo holds. All night the scuttlebutt was rampant. He hated the cold but by the next sun rise it was on his left. Rumor was they were doing big circles to avoid submarines and hiding from Japanese ships. As they traveled they noted the hot humid weather never realizing where they'd end up until dropping anchor far from a bay full of sunken ships from all involved in the PTO. Even with the heat and humidity he was happy to get off that troop transport. They had gone thru a Typhoon with most of the Army troops sea sick and the Navy guys letting them know they weren't welcome aboard their ship. While in the islands he re-upped for a 2nd tour and never returned back to the states until he received his separation orders.
I have pictures of him and buddies with their 2 pet monkeys and more of them with the friendly native gals Heart. 1 of the monkeys can be seen riding on their military Harley. Dad said if they couldn't find that monkey all they had to do was fire up that bike and he'd quickly show up. Remember a story about Dad riding in for a inspection and had that monkey sitting on the handle bars. I guess the CO had a good laugh over it and ended up taking the bike and monkey for a ride, grinning all the way.
I also have many letters and post cards I need to get translated someday from Filipinos he'd made friends with. Also a few from after the War from a couple Australians..... that pretty much need translation also Confused
Sorry off topic, just recalling a WWII Engineers story.

Dan, GotSnlB28...
Appreciate the help.

Charlie-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply