Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Wanted+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WTB: I am looking for one

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rgpracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB: I am looking for one
    Posted: Sep 22 2020 at 4:42pm
New to the forum, looking for my first Carbine.  Anyone have one?  I'm not a collector, want a shooter, but want one that is mostly all original.  I want something I can learn from all of you on.
Thanks
Ray Parker
Msgt Ret
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2020 at 11:23am
My 2 bits, look around at local gun shops to see if there are any available that you can inspect in person.

Don't get hung up on a "all original" Carbine. Most went through the post war rebuild program and parts were replaced as needed from stocks on hand.

I would suggest getting one of these 1st to help in your search.

You can also get those off Ebay. Expect a "2" to be average IMO, these are 75 year old rifles. Some will suggest using a M-2 30'06 round as a gauge, I've found it best to get a proper gauge to save "guessing".

With some legwork you should be able to find one that fits your needs. Keep in mind M-1 Carbines are like potato chips.....you won't stop at just 1 Big smile
Rgpracer View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rgpracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2020 at 11:37am
Rhanks DonFlynn.....I'll be sure NOT to show your post to my other half!! Wink
Ray Parker
Msgt Ret
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2020 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Rgpracer Rgpracer wrote:

Rhanks DonFlynn.....I'll be sure NOT to show your post to my other half!! Wink

I can relate to that.

Expect to pay between $1000-1400 with the current market for a decent USGI Carbine. Prices have gone up the past couple years for the usual reasons ("X" number of USGI vs. "Y" number of buyers).

Also, if you see one you like realtime take the time to use the research site here to learn "what's what". An example I can think of near me is a LGS that has had a "Paratrooper" model that the LGS claims is a WWII bringback. When I pointed the Carbine had post war features and a Italian postwar para stock they got defensive and tried to say it was a "consignment" rifle and that's what they were "told".

That rifle has been sitting there for 2 years marked at $1995 and no takers. They know what they have, and are just looking for someone who doesn't know what to look for to take the bait   
arthur View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2020 at 2:06pm
Don,
What are the features of the " Italian postwar para stock " that make them different. And what is LGS. 
                      Arthur
Rgpracer View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rgpracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2020 at 2:37pm
Sounds like, you are tbe man i will ask questions of when/if something comes up.
I really hope to find one on the forum from someone here.  They will price it fair, and not try to pass something along that is not right cause these guys will be all over the seller.
Ray Parker
Msgt Ret
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2020 at 3:16pm
Hi Rgpracer,
    We have a nice carbine, believe the only part that could have been replaced is the rear sight all though it may have had the adj sight when built, is in the ser range where it could have had either one. Somewhere here in the forum we posted pics, forget where. Ser # 38882xx. This will give you a bit of info, other info will be by a PM. Ha, forgot---is an IBM
Cheers
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2020 at 3:31pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2020 at 7:58pm
you could always check out Royal Tiger Imports.  I bought an unissued carbine from them.  Unissued meant it was never issued to the Ethiopian Army, it sat in a goat warehouse since the 50’s.  The prices have gone up but they still have unissued, early models and well used ones from several manufactures.  Your looking at $1,100 to $1,700 for one that will need a few days of cleaning.  I used that time to get to know ALL of my carbine and fill out a data sheet on it.  

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2020 at 8:58pm
I don't now if any of the long time collectors on any of the Carbine related sites have ever bought anything from RTI other than an early featured one, because anything else they're offering just isn't a value. Only a few of us have even bought from RTI. I wouldn't recommend buying an 'unissued'. Really, only the early feature has potential to be worth keeping and still the price has gone up and it looks like they're doing some assembly to complete them.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2020 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by arthur arthur wrote:

Don,
What are the features of the " Italian postwar para stock " that make them different. And what is LGS. 
                      Arthur

Milford Gun Shop. I'm not 100% sure on the stock but it looks way to clean to be a WWII issue one, and the carbine in question has a post war rear sight and bayonet lug. They've "insisted" it was a WWII bringback but since they only want $1999 for it it doesn't "feel" right to me  

If your looking for a Carbine closer to Dayton the "Gunrunner" in Monroe had 2 of them last weekend. IIRR a Saginaw for $1300 and they had just gotten in a Rockola that they hadn't priced when I looked at it.

One of them had a push button safety but adjustable rear sight. They both looked decent, didn't check the bore close since I didn't have my gauge with me (I can't find the damn thing, might have to get another one Cry ) I figure I'm broke on the gun fund right now anyway so I'm trying to avoid them for a few weeks     
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2020 at 10:59am
LGS = Local Gun Shop
 Post Reply Post Reply