Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

QHMC "X" Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nevinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: QHMC "X" Carbine
    Posted: Sep 06 2020 at 4:09pm
I'd like to introduce you to my latest pride and joy.  Many thanks to fellow club member OAMAAM68 for selling me a piece of history.

This rifle was owned by OAMAAM68 for about the past five years and before that another collector who was transitioning to collecting Civil War weapons.

For those of you unfamiliar with this rifle, the “X” marked QHMC rifles are estimated to only total about 1,200. (Ref. War Baby III, pp 1677 and Carbine Club Newsletter 379).  Also, according to Carbine Club Newsletter 324 dated July 2004, The Carbine Club, only had a record four carbines with an “X” below the serial number at that time.  I am unsure if any additional rifles have been discovered since and would certainly welcome any additional information that anyone can share.  The rifles that were known to exist in 2004 included serial #'s: 4800804, 4801017, 4801074 and 4801277.  This rifle is the earliest now documented, unless, of course, more have been located since the time of that publication.

According to CCNL 324, no one knows for sure why QHMC placed an X on these rifles.  It’s been suggested that it could indicate a duplicated serial number since that is how other manufacturers identified such rifles.  An anomaly, however, is that of the "X" marked rifles located thus far (again suspecting that the X was used to identify those rifles bearing a duplicate serial number) none of the corresponding serially numbered rifles have been located without the X marking (Ref. CCNL 357-9).

This rifle possesses all of the correct parts.  The previous owner wrote to OAMAAM68 and told him that "...the carbine is all original and correct as near as I can tell. Original Parkerizing, stock has been cleaned and re-oiled." 

Based on my disassembly and examination of the rifle, the parts on this rifle are correct and appear to be authentic.  The wear on each part appears to be consistent with other parts on the rifle lending good indication that no parts have been swapped or replaced over time.  The carbine's components are also in complete sync with Carbine Club Newsletter 334 which provides a complete parts description for QHMC Carbines of various serial numbers.  Of particular note is that the rifle has a Firing Pin marked "HS" which is a Standard Products part.  Ref. CCNL-334 – Standard Products shipped 7,000 firing pins to QHMC in 5 shipments from 11/26/1943 to 12/9/1943.  Also, War Baby, pp. 391 reflects that Standard Products shipped 9,000 firing pins to QHMC during that same period. In my view, this part is considered correct.

This is definitely a rare carbine and one that I will proudly display.  Thanks again, OAMAAM68!

Retired First Sergeant, U.S. Army
Retired LEO
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2020 at 5:06pm
Great looking Carbine, thanks for posting.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2020 at 5:30pm
Boy this sure brightened up a gloomy back aching day here.
And I admit it made me dig out and look ay my list of serial numbers.
Thought I had a 4,8.......  Got all excited to see if I was close (didn't expect to see a X, just to see how close) but 3 are in 4,7.  2 in 4,6 and 1 in 1,9 .
No Bingo here, but good news is I have 6 when I thought I had 5 QHMC, so I figure that a good day! 
Better than aspirin!

@ Nevinator,
Thank you for sharing this and especially the photo album and THANK YOU for your service.
All is Greatly Appreciated 

Clap

Charlie-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2020 at 5:32pm
More have been located since the time of CCNL 324. CCNL 352 (2009) reports seven others including Carbine of the Month 4801447X. The stamping of yours is near identical to the COM in CCNL 352. Yours appears to be more original than those earlier discovered having Type 3 rear sights and questionable Type 2 bands (cut down Type 3's?).

Congratulations on a great addition to your collection.
JackP
Nevinator View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2020 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Boy this sure brightened up a gloomy back aching day here.
And I admit it made me dig out and look ay my list of serial numbers.
Thought I had a 4,8.......  Got all excited to see if I was close (didn't expect to see a X, just to see how close) but 3 are in 4,7.  2 in 4,6 and 1 in 1,9 .
No Bingo here, but good news is I have 6 when I thought I had 5 QHMC, so I figure that a good day! 
Better than aspirin!

@ Nevinator,
Thank you for sharing this and especially the photo album and THANK YOU for your service.
All is Greatly Appreciated 

Clap

Charlie-P777

Retired LEO
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
Nevinator View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2020 at 5:54pm
You’re welcome Charlie! Serving our great Nation was my honor.

As for the X marked QHMC Carbines...if I understand your post correctly you have a record of 6 now including mine?

I see where Jackp1028 states that CCNL 352 reflects 7 others. I’ll be doing more research for sure.

Best regards!

Edited by Nevinator - Sep 06 2020 at 6:46pm
Retired LEO
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
Nevinator View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2020 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

More have been located since the time of CCNL 324. CCNL 352 (2009) reports seven others including Carbine of the Month 4801447X. The stamping of yours is near identical to the COM in CCNL 352. Yours appears to be more original than those earlier discovered having Type 3 rear sights and questionable Type 2 bands (cut down Type 3's?).

Congratulations on a great addition to your collection.

Thank you, and I missed the story in CCNL 352.  Obviously more research is needed on my part.  I’m sure more have surfaced since then.  It would be nice to have an updated list of serial numbers.

Edited by Nevinator - Sep 06 2020 at 6:45pm
Retired LEO
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2020 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Nevinator Nevinator wrote:

You’re welcome Charlie! Serving our great Nation was my honor.

As for the X marked QHMC Carbines...if I understand your post correctly you have a record of 6 now including mine?

I see where Jackp1028 states that CCNL 352 reflects 7 others. I’ll be doing re research for sure.

Best regards!

JP, Thx for your added info !

@ Nevinator:
Hang On,
I was checking my personal QHMC'S carbines serial #'s to see if I had one close to the X numbers.
No luck, but did see that instead of 5, I actually own 6.

I keep a Notebook of the Carbines I own with the serial numbers listed.
Another notebook with similar info and parts markings.. etc.
Easier than digging in the lockers/safes to dig them out.

Got it now?

Enjoy the Holiday

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2020 at 7:21pm
Great looking rifle thanks for sharing. HQ handguard, I haven't seen those too often.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2020 at 12:38pm
Beauty! Thanks for sharing and for the previous NL references. Good stuff!

welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2020 at 9:49pm
is very nice--I was fortunate enough to find the COM 4801447 gun--I feel its all original except rear sight--field or bubba who knows-this one is nicer then mine--no hooohraah to OMMAAAN for selling it to jiffycop! lol--can't own them all--both of these dudes are dedicated to US guys so my hat is off to them--thanks for your service to them!
OAMAAM68 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OAMAAM68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2020 at 7:50pm
Thanks, Marcus -- just trying to spread the wealth. OOH RAH!
Semper fi,
Bill -- OAMAAM68
USN '63-'68
USMC '68-'98

Mike in NC View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2021 at 9:00pm
I have QHMC 4800081, also a "X" stamped one. It was a CMP auction carbine in 2010. I felt compelled to buy it because I already owned 4800082. That one was not an "X" stamped one.
Dirty30Carbine View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirty30Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2021 at 9:12pm
I just double checked my Quality S/N 4850118 no X 
I knew it didn’t have an X, just couldn’t remember the S/N past it started with a 48
 Post Reply Post Reply