The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Howdy from Texas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyevans56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Howdy from Texas
    Posted: Sep 04 2020 at 1:37am
I just retired and just bought my first M1 Carbine. It came dirty and neglected from RTI but seems to have cleaned up pretty well. It has an Underwood receiver, barrel and bolt, the slide says UN-Q (Quality Hardware?) and the trigger housing is stamped Inland. I disassembled it during cleaning but did not take note of the manufacturers for the individual trigger group parts.  The stock was changed at some point. It has SA stamped on the top rail left of the barrel inlet and RRA for Red River Arsenal on the side. I assume that RRA is where it got its new safety, sights, and bayonet lug. It has P stamped twice on the front of the grip. Once with the P inside a square and once with no square.  I'm not sure what everything means at this point but I look forward to checking it out at the range as soon as I can get my hands on some ammo.  I have some Korean surplus on the way by no one local has any at all. I do reload so I'll be ordering 30 carbine dies. 

I look forward to spending time getting to know my carbine and maybe collecting a few more. Thanks in advance for your wealth of knowledge and willingness to share it!
Tony
MSgt USAF Retired '95
Retired High School Teacher 2020
NRA Life Member
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2020 at 8:17am
If your looking for rock bottom prices, check  CHEAPER THAN DIRT. They have a large selection.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2020 at 8:58am
Welcome. Did your RTI come with a bayonet lug barrel band?
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2020 at 10:18am
Hi and welcome to the Forum from New Mexico!

I think you'll be happy with the Korean surplus ammo. I've found it to be about the best deal around. Post some pictures of your Underwood when you get a chance.
JackP
tonyevans56 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyevans56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2020 at 10:37am
It did come with a barrel band with bayonet lug. The Barrel is stamped with Underwood, 2-44 with a flaming bomb. The barrel band bayonet lug is stamped SI on the lower left side.

Edited by tonyevans56 - Sep 04 2020 at 2:34pm
Tony
MSgt USAF Retired '95
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyevans56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2020 at 10:40am
I will post some pictures as soon as I can figure out how to do it.
Tony
MSgt USAF Retired '95
NRA Life Member
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2020 at 11:18am
Welcome to the forum. Be careful Carbines tend to multiply!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyevans56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2020 at 11:50am
Surely you jest! Cheaper Than Dirt hasn't existed for me since Sandy Hook.
Tony
MSgt USAF Retired '95
NRA Life Member
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2020 at 12:17pm
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.  Go to the "Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions" and you'll see a few topics on posting pics.  I don't reload 30 carbine but there has been a few topics with some good info on various loads.  You may want to search the forum on reloading or perhaps another member will help direct to them.
 Post Reply Post Reply