Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Early M1a1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LS6man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early M1a1
    Posted: Aug 31 2020 at 11:36pm
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2020 at 7:28am
Looks very nice. A couple of features I've never seen before. One is the separated O I like you see on early Inland stocks and the no number cast plate. Not that I know but intuition makes me wonder if stock is earlier than the action in it. The cast plate has feature I look for on a real plate.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
LS6man View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LS6man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2020 at 8:13am
The butt plate has the number in it...really hard to see and really worn, but there especially when looking at it in person....mold #10

I might try to put some talc on it and take a pic...
LS6man View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LS6man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2020 at 8:20am
here is a pic of the butt plate with some talc on it.. need to Do it again and see if I can get better pics

The complete number is on there as is the wheel and mold #10

In the pic wheel is center and can see the 10

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2020 at 8:29am
Yeah, there it is. I sorta see it looking back at the first pics.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2020 at 5:28pm
that is real early m1a1 with spread I O--also no indent above oiler-another sign of super early--only second m1a1 stock I have seen with spread IO-the other was high wood removed and was cmp auction gun--I inspected it at anniston--the wear on stock from butt plate is not commensurate to wear of the gun--gun is nice orig two tone finish on receiver-very unique keeper but feel is a 5 digit paratrooper stock-very rare
LS6man View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LS6man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2020 at 6:03pm
for what it is worth.. the wear on the stock is inline with the wear on the rifle when seen in natural light..

The butt plate numbers are in rough casting... and the exterior finish is inline with the stock.. who knows what happened to this batch of 12... no way to ever know.. ever looked at VIN’s on Baltimore LS6 Chevelle’s (stamped (not cast though) in rough cast by the oil filter... 4K mile car with barely visible VIN.. ) ?  

arguably there any number of reasons an earlier stock can end up later than expected.. FILO being one 

student of history View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote student of history Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2020 at 7:29pm
If possible, could you please provide a close up photo of the trigger guard area with the stock popped off? 
LS6man View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LS6man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2020 at 12:38am
Here are more pics 

Post Reply Post Reply