Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Win barrel on S'G'?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2020 at 8:38am
I posted some pics on CMP once about some split Carbine cases. I responded to a Carbine for sale on Armslist up in a chicken fighting holler. The seller fired a few rounds to show the Carbine cycled. I picked up the casings and saw a couple had split. They were his reloads.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2020 at 8:51am
Bubba will always come-thru in times of need. One can blow-up anything if he tries hard enough. Split cases usually indicate an oversized chamber or weak brass. There is a limit to how many times a case can be fire-formed and re-sized. But with Bubba, all bets are off. Bubba can accomplish the impossible.

I can see the possibility of splitting cases if the head space is really out-of-whack. The case is tapered and if it is allowed to move rearward, it has to expand a bit farther to form to the chamber. Most carbine brass is pretty robust, but Bubba can work wonders.
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2020 at 9:34am
I’ve been following this thread with interest. From past discussions I was under the impression that slightly excessive headspace would lengthen the fired brass but not split it. Splits would be caused by a a chamber that was oversized in diameter not length. It was also my understanding that excessive headspace in itself would not render the carbine a danger to fire. It could cause failures to fire but not catastrophic failures. I hope this not seen as high jacking this thread I was just wondering if this was in fact the case.
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2020 at 9:49am
Straight wall, relatively low pressure rounds do not "stretch" brass like a bottle neck round with high pressure.
In effect, a bottle neck cartridge fire forms itself to the chamber each time it is fired, thus it "grows" in length to the extent that space, including headspace allow.

Splits can also be attributed to "bad" brass, usually old brass that has become brittle.

I fully agree with your other comments.
Don
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2020 at 10:07am
I have first hand experience with cases splitting, .45 ACP in particular and just too carbine cases. Mine were all due to work hardening of the brass from repeated reloading. 
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2020 at 10:53am
Originally posted by kro1970 kro1970 wrote:

I’ve been following this thread with interest. From past discussions I was under the impression that slightly excessive headspace would lengthen the fired brass but not split it. Splits would be caused by a a chamber that was oversized in diameter not length. It was also my understanding that excessive headspace in itself would not render the carbine a danger to fire. It could cause failures to fire but not catastrophic failures. I hope this not seen as high jacking this thread I was just wondering if this was in fact the case.

We probably all need to apologize to colreed for jumping his thread, but I think we are on an interesting subject and maybe he doesn’t mind?

Personally, I can agree to what you have posted. The gun will tell you early enough when it’s time to take some action. Watch your brass length, read your fired brass and pay attention to what it’s telling you.

blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2020 at 1:24pm
I've never encountered a fired case which is longer after being fired. In my experience, they are always shorter.

A long time ago, I bought a bunch of so-called "once fired" carbine brass online but found they were all no good, being "too short" outside SAAMI specs to use 8Q

In reality, when fired, the case expands to fill the chamber and then contracts enough to release its grip on chamber walls so as to extract but contraction is insufficient to restore the case's original dimensions. The case is now shorter and wider than before. Resizing squishes the width back to spec, but since the amount of brass is constant, case length must increase. It does, so you trim back the "excess", add powder, and bullet to use again.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2020 at 2:14pm
Be interesting to have Col measure brass before and after a shot. Length and diameter.

blackfish,
Fully agree with your explanation.
Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123