The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question on Changing bolt springs and head spacing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on Changing bolt springs and head spacing
    Posted: Aug 12 2020 at 12:06am
I'm thinking of ordering the bolt tool from Fulton Armory and changing the springs and ejector on my Plainfield M-1 Carbine to have a set of fresh springs in it (I figure their original and it was made in 1966)

Does this affect head spacing on the bolt?

I figure with 5 Carbines in the safe now it might be worth having the tool so I can clean them if needed down the road ( 3 have been rebuilt by FA and the 4th is a new production FA)
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2020 at 12:36am
No, changing the ejector & spring in the bolt will not affect the headspace.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2020 at 7:52am
How springs behave is argued one-way-or-another depending on who you listen to. My experience has been that if a extractor spring measures .400 and over, it works. Spec. is .410 and if you get much below .400, extraction issues tend follow. 

DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2020 at 9:15am
Thanks gents. This Plainfield is "new", I've only had it 4 weeks and  only run 300 rounds through it. It look very "low mileage' when I bought it.

I've had a couple FTF's or FTE's every time I've shot it so far, almost "normal" Carbine behavior. I figure it might be worth it to change springs since even though it looks low mileage those are 54 years old

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2020 at 12:42pm
Sounds more like dirty extractor spring rather than a problem with the spring itself. Built up crud can cause those problems. If it was just FTE, I'd say to inspect the extractor for damage, but having both symptoms, it sounds like crud buildup.

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2020 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by DonFlynn DonFlynn wrote:

Thanks gents. This Plainfield is "new", I've only had it 4 weeks and  only run 300 rounds through it. It look very "low mileage' when I bought it.

I've had a couple FTF's or FTE's every time I've shot it so far, almost "normal" Carbine behavior. I figure it might be worth it to change springs since even though it looks low mileage those are 54 years old

I don't think that is "normal" at all.
I'd look at magazines  and the recoil spring for FTF; and the extractor and its spring and chamber for FTE- if that means failure to extract.
If you mean failure to eject, then the ejector and the ammunition and the condition of the chamber.

That assumes that the carbine is clean and lubed, it looks clean from the outside!
Don
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2020 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by 03manV 03manV wrote:

Originally posted by DonFlynn DonFlynn wrote:

I don't think that is "normal" at all.
I'd look at magazines  and the recoil spring for FTF; and the extractor and its spring and chamber for FTE- if that means failure to extract.
If you mean failure to eject, then the ejector and the ammunition and the condition of the chamber.

That assumes that the carbine is clean and lubed, it looks clean from the outside!

"failure to extract" That's what I meant.

Could be ammo or mags or could be recoil spring. The gun was in excellent shape IMO but it had the "unused" feel to it if that makes any sense. I do want to take the bolt apart anyway to clean it so figured new springs won't hurt. I'm just waiting to order what I need for a couple weeks since I tapped the "gun fund" for a deal on a Sig P229 last week ($700 for a factory refurbed Elite....I couldn't pass that up) and have a rule about only spending what I set aside for guns on gun stuff

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2020 at 1:26pm
Failure to extract is usually a bad /chipped extractor. Failure to feed is most often bent lips on the mag.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2020 at 1:28pm
I should add: sometimes failure to feed can also simply be that the magazine spring is in backwards.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
 Post Reply Post Reply