Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to the board, new M1A1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOHICA2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to the board, new M1A1
    Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 6:56am
I've always wanted to add an M1 to my collection and came across an M1A1 that caught my eye.  Had a couple issues but managed to work out a price that I was comfortable with.

Now, I am having more questions, too late to abort the purchase (and I don't really want to anyway), but I figured I would ask here and let the collective knowledge and expertise wash over me.  

The carbine I bought is all Inland, barrel dated 2-43, receiver 30x,xxx (which I take to be a March 43 manufacture), flat bolt, L rear sight, thin barrel band, small parts marked correctly as far as I can tell but the safety is a lever safety which I do not believe would be correct unless re-arsenaled.

The questions I have are related to the furniture:

1. There is not an arsenal stamp from a rebuild on the stock;
2. No P (circled or otherwise, but I understand that this was not uncommon);
3. Handguard is the later 4 rivet type;
4. Wear on the stock and folder are equal to the action itself;
5. The stock is low wood which indicates a rebuild although I gather some high wood stocks were cut;
6. Ordnance wheel on right side of pistol grip.

So, original Inland M1 with period correct replacement stock? Fake stock? Something else?

Thanks in advance.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 7:18am
Welcome to the forum.  If you haven't done so, review the reference pages on the M1A1 http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/modelM1A1.html

And as always...I suggest posting pics.
BOHICA2112 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOHICA2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 8:39am
My thoughts are that this is a 2nd contract (or the second batch) stock on an earlier M1...

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 9:43am
Something right off is the barrel, it has bayonet band shadow. Cameras almost always reveal this when it's not immediately evident to the eye.

Rest assured that the super majority of M1A1s are messed with, so don't feel lonely about it. It's the norm. There are little details to determining that you have one made of probable GI original parts so up close pics are needed:
the left side of the stock where it's relieved for the cheek when folded
the grip bottom for any stampings--including the metal bottom plate
that ordnance stamp on the right grip
the back of the cheek pad (metal plate)
the butt plate casting numbers
the stamp inside the stock where you'll find an OI
the milling of that pocket where the OI is stamped
you'll want on overhead of the nose where the band clamps down to show the band impressions.

Those are the starters.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Durango56 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durango56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 9:48am
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking carbine. Does appear to be a late stock. Does it have OI stamp at rear of slide well, any signs of other than type I barrel band and does it have RI over 3 on bottom of grip? Looks like late mag release too, is Inland stamp on trigger housing vertical or horizontal?
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOHICA2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 9:53am
All I had to go by were pictures as I'm currently OCONUS.  But yes, I noticed that.

I'm leaning more and more to conclude that it was originally a carbine, normal stock version and someone swapped it into the paratrooper stock and removed the bayonet band.

In any case, it's going to be a shooter, probably one of many, lol.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 10:13am
I don't snob out on any of them, but it's fun to know the details about them all. I like scoring the unnoticed gems other people stick their nose up at.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOHICA2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 10:25am
I thought that I had a decent handle on the variations and what to look for before, now, not so much...

Next one will be a regular USGI carbine, shooter of course.  Trying to stay away from RTI.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 10:54am
Most are cut down to low wood but as you probably know now some were originally low. Some have been faked by using a regular stock, but you can find the extra hole that shouldn't be there where the regular stock had a recoil screw. And there are fake butt plates.

I bought an RTI, but wouldn't buy another unless I could see that it was worth beforehand.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOHICA2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 11:49am
I'll post more when I get home, hopefully NLT 01SEP...  Fingers crossed.
 Post Reply Post Reply