Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unusual Sporterization?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unusual Sporterization?
    Posted: Aug 07 2020 at 10:41pm
Seems slow around here so...Not something one sees every day.

What a treat it would be to meet those who made it.

Edited by m1a1fan - Aug 09 2020 at 11:48am
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2020 at 4:22am
That ranks right up there with a hand-painted $500 85 Caprice with $3,000 26-inch wheels on it. 
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2020 at 8:34am
First time I've seen one done up like that before... "High wood" configuration? Lol Looks like a fixed bayonet spike in the front. Hopefully the metal wasn't modified and it could be easily put back to standard configuration, I see it has a type 1 rear sight.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2020 at 8:41am
What looks like wood is actually metal.
wmmwraghd View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmmwraghd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2020 at 8:59am
Prop from the original Planet of the Apes movie?
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2020 at 9:12am
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

What looks like wood is actually metal.

I can see why, those gorillas were pretty tough on stocks. Wink
Don
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2020 at 9:49am
I understand carbines were cheap and perhaps plentiful back in the day, but neither one of those aspects excuse the results in this case. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. Still, the only thing I'd ask the builder(s) is WTF were they thinking. Their answer could be a long strange trip to borrow another phrase.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2020 at 11:01am
Originally posted by wmmwraghd wmmwraghd wrote:

Prop from the original Planet of the Apes movie?

Exactly my first thought.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2020 at 12:22pm
Found this.

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2020 at 1:19pm
And now we know for sure or so it appears.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2020 at 2:28pm
The second PotA movie is correct. First used wood.

It isn’t a replica though. It supposedly works, has USGi internals and was used in the movie. Would probably have it inspected by a qualified gunsmith and movie prop designer before firing though.

Didn’t think either prop was in great condition, but perhaps one of one?

Quite the upgrade from a block of wood to a prop that supposedly worked and had USGI Internals.

Hmmm...see a difference....interesting.
PLN-TAP-7 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLN-TAP-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 6:51am
I think there is quite good an explanation here:

It seems there was fake built from scratch (wood?) and built with the carbine mechanical part in order to actually shoot.

The site also go on about other weapons used in the POA films (Madsen 50 notably).

It also established that in sequels the producers seemed not bother any more to disguise the guns used as specific to the apes : beware whether your best friend is a monkey, he may want to play with your original stocked Carbine!
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 8:37am
Would make a great wall hanger, in the basement, LOL.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 8:38am
It was obviously designed with ape ergonomics in mind. Fired from the foot if necessary.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2020 at 1:54pm
Found numerous sales of "Hero" carbines; flip, non-flip and empty dove tail.

Previous sale of flip version below. The scratches/markings on the painted aluminum stock look like the one shown in the 1st post which is a mid Inland 5 million. Other similarities: L379 slide, flip sight, blued flat bolt and rotary safety. Think only the slide would be correct. Both required FFL transfer.

Similar descriptions and mention of "other" Hero props. Curiously, the rear sights shown don't look the same to me.

The prices realized for some of these are Shocked. Not exactly a box of popcorn, but to ape his own. Based on some of the prices I see folks paying for humped carbines on GB, I guess it could be worse.

Added additional photo to OP showing movie grab with bayonet extended. Can't see the flip though. Must have been a lot of heroes in those movies...
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2020 at 6:36pm
First, You guys are nuts !!  Wacko

Next: Would a Proto Type be worth more ?

This Prop Rifle was a PROTO TYPE that 20 Centre Fox made but was never produced.Their was very limted #s of this produced.

Only 5 were made,..by me in 1991. Sold them all at a model kit collector show in CA. This is most definitely one that I made. NOT studio made. [by DaBar ]

Pictured one above found in this link:

Search results.... 3 pages:

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2020 at 9:56pm
Nice workmanship. If you gave them away, they would have been presentations. Smile

Probably more bananas than nuts. Surprised the 1st prod monkey brought less than the 2nd prod gorilla. Not sure, but it could have been the double strike marks on the wooden trigger housing. Looked orangutan to me, but I'm no expert.

Here's a link to antoher site.

https://www.proparchives.com/listing-category/beneath-the-planet-of-the-apes/

Kinda simian, but not the same.
 Post Reply Post Reply