Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buyer Beware

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buyer Beware
    Posted: Aug 02 2020 at 11:19am
I realize this should probably go in the commercial carbine thread but all considered I think all should see this.

One of our long time Club members sent me this link....

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875715131

Plainfield Machine M1 Carbine s/n 0002, seller says built in 1965. Bids start at $9,999.00.

I suspect I know his source for the 1965, unless he has the original receipt. Maybe not ...

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_Plainfield02.html

Their serial numbers didn't start at 0001. They started between A616 and A711. 0002 was about 20,000 carbines into production.

The lesson here is, once again, do your homework as best you can.

Jim
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2020 at 11:49am
My question would be, is it worth 10-grand even if it was number two?
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2020 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

My question would be, is it worth 10-grand even if it was number two?

I don't think so, but value is in the eyes of the buyer. Very few people collect commercial carbines as collectables. That may change but probably not in our lifetime.

Jim
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2020 at 1:45pm
That one looks a little banged-up to boot.

I did collect a couple of commercials, but only because the government never made the caliber and finish in what I wanted.
Ricci1165 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricci1165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2020 at 5:38pm
Love the price and the front sight! LOL
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2020 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Ricci1165 Ricci1165 wrote:

Love the price and the front sight! LOL

I am sure it’s never been off the gun. The early models were designed for shooting behind the operator.
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2020 at 10:01pm
Probably number  O 002.
Don
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2020 at 11:17pm
Picture #3,
The Twisty scars forward the frt sight...
Think Muzzle break/Flash hider or maybe Bayonet marks ?
If not from frt sight being R and R'd. Ouch

Charlie-P777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2020 at 3:42am
Originally posted by 03manV 03manV wrote:

Probably number  O 002.

May be O 002 instead of 0002. Sometimes there is a little separation between the letter and the numbers on those with a letter prefix, sometimes not. May have something to do with each number/letter being hand stamped one at a time. I've seen the letter O followed by 3 numbers but it's possible someone used a zero instead of the letter O.

So this brings into question all having 4 digits that start with a zero.

The first 700 or so Plainfield serial numbers after the Z prefix there were some inconsistencies. I have info on thirty-eight Plainfield carbines after the Z prefix and before those above s/n 1000.

The first 99:
     0002 (the one above)

100 & up:
     109 - 283
     0385 - 0580
     0786 - 0913

All zeros are zeros, not the letter O.

To confuse things further, the letter A was added to the end of the s/n (in one instance it was a prefix) to many of those 109 - 764. Less frequent afterwards with the highest I've seen so far being 1939A. Most of the ones with the letter A were marked M-2. But not all. A couple were marked "CAL. 30 M-1 1" .

A lot of info came from Plainfields I found being auctioned. Many of which didn't show much detail. I stopped looking at a certain point as my goal was the general concept vs a complete and detailed history of everything Plainfield from start to finish. Anyone wishing to take on that challenge who tries to get real detailed will probably graduate from extra strength aspirin to a real strong opiate by the time they get halfway done. These were profit driven commercial companies dealing with overhead costs, the highest of which was employees.

The carbines made by Plainfield started showing some consistency by about the H prefix series. This continued until the end of the Z prefix series. Something happened at Plainfield when they began the numbered serial numbers. Something other than the change in numbering. The quality of workmanship dropped. Along with the consistency in workanship and markings. This was about late 1965 or early 1966. Although the markings and serial numbers became fairly consistent above s/n 2000, the machining and finish didn't improve and become consistent until 1972 or so. Well into the 50,000+ s/n's.

This may have had something to do with the students they brought in who worked at Plainfield as the "lab" portion of their college machining class (info from one of the next generation of Hass & Storck, who worked there). I suspect the demand for quantities over ran their quality control. Both ebbed and flowed over time. Consider also, the riots in the 60's that brought with them an immediate high demand for carbines from police agencies and officers.

One thing I haven't been able to establish is exactly when Plainfield started using their 6 groove barrels. Prior they had used 12 groove barrels. Also surplus 1903A3 barrels (some 2 groove) machined down to carbine dimensions and inserted into a casting that included the threads and gas piston housing. Those 12 groove barrels were used thru at least the G prefix serial numbers.

So, that 0002 may have been a 0002, or it may have been a O 002 run together using a zero instead of the letter O.

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply