Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ermas Mfg. Co. M1 Carbine serial number

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogoman52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ermas Mfg. Co. M1 Carbine serial number
    Posted: Jul 17 2020 at 11:15pm
Hello, I just bought a Ermas Mfg. Co. M1 Carbine with serial number 5923 and the web site info said they were only recorded to serial number 5921 so I think mine changes that.
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2020 at 6:15pm
Wellk, that is cool! Got a photo to share?
Pogoman52 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogoman52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2020 at 10:19pm
I'll post some in the morning.
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2020 at 10:52pm
be very careful--that serial is still being offered for sale with buy it now of 2000+. on Gunbroker. a erma has to be worth 500-700 at best--just my opinion--you may be getting one of the nigerian scams
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2020 at 12:32am
Pogoman, 
Thanks for sharing.
many of the web pages were authored many years ago and we are working to update the pages. There are other pages that are more pressing. Unfortunately yours is not the highest number.

Originally posted by sleeplessnashadow sleeplessnashadow wrote:

Ermas started with s/n 000. The highest I have seen or have reliable info on so far is 6015. The 42 I have info on are spread out between these two extremes with no obvious gaps. If they didn't reject any receivers they probably manufactured a little over 6000 receivers during the few years they were in business.

Jim

the post was written by the author of the Ermas web page and I am sure he will chime in soon.

It appears you have the Ermas trigger housing. does it also have the Ermas Hammer?
The barrel does not appear to have any markings. Is this one of the two piece barrels that is shown on page two of the Ermas pages?

Does it have the IO in slingwell? 

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2020 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by welbytwo welbytwo wrote:

be very careful--that serial is still being offered for sale with buy it now of 2000+. on Gunbroker. a erma has to be worth 500-700 at best--just my opinion--you may be getting one of the nigerian scams

I see the current GB listing, Buy Now For $ 2,200 + ship. No Reserve. Open Bid @ $799.99

GB Item 874787611

Edit To Ask: Is that type scope mount require drilling in to the receiver?

CH-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Pogoman52 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pogoman52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2020 at 2:31pm
Yeah that post on gunbroker is mine

All the parts on it are winchester or inland 

Thanks for the info

Edited by New2brass - Jul 22 2020 at 11:53am
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2020 at 4:07pm
Well I guess you don't have to worry about a Liberian scam. 

I looked it over and thought it looked pretty nice.
Can I ask... Is that the type of scope mount that is drilled/attached to the receiver?
There are many more out there than I ever expected that like a scope on their Carbines.
As I get older I can understand now.
Many search out the commercials for this very reason, so they don't have to drill / tap a GI receiver.
Good Luck in your Auction

CH-P777
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2020 at 12:17am
Hi folks

I've been waiting to see pics to confirm the serial number. I've been told of a couple higher s/n but unless I'm able to verify it don't include it on the web page.

Marcus may have sent me a link to this one awhile back and it didn't click the number was higher than what we've seen so far. I searched Gunbroker a moment ago and didn't find this one.

Jim
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2020 at 11:59am
Charlie, I believe that scope mount to be a Federal Ordnance which has a plate that slides in the dovetail and then the unit is screwed into the plate.

The auction seems to have disappeared, but in one picture you could see the plate that I mention
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2020 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

but in one picture you could see the plate that I mention

Similar to this one, which I would be happy to part with:

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2020 at 3:55pm
I found the Now Ended Auction.
Is it OK to pull the picture here?

To PogoMan52,

Can you list some of the parts and maker / markings?
Curious if the barrel is marked?
Trigger Housing and internals ?
I see the R marked frt sight, which was found on later Inland barrels.
The E.I. Mag catch is WWII issued, used by Inland.
Any markings on that 30rd Magazine ?
I think I see the Circled SS on the Flip safety, made by I believe Seymour Smith (?) Late War.
The Type II milled rear sight with H in the shield used by WRA and some others.
The Low C marked Bayonet band thought to be post WWII. If that C was stamped higher, more towards the middle of the sling swivel.... It would be a $150+ part.
Is the bolt and Op slide marked any where ?
Nice stock, Is there any marking in the left side sling well.
Lastly what kinda sling is that ? For the Garand ?

Thx,
CH-P777

Parts can add up quick............ $$

Edited by painter777 - Jul 22 2020 at 5:19pm
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2020 at 9:31pm
Thanks for the links to the auction, guys. It's been closed with no bids/buyer.

The barrel appears to be the barrel Ermas made and used. Take a look at the length of the turned down area for the front sight. Ermas used 1903A3 barrels inserted into the rear half of a carbine barrel. Shown here:

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_ermas2.html

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply