Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Royal Tiger Imports M1 Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjspearson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Royal Tiger Imports M1 Carbine
    Posted: Jul 10 2020 at 12:50pm
I recently got interested in the M1 Carbine from a Youtube video showing a Carbine purchased from Royal Tiger Imports.  After some research, I decided to take a chance and purchase one of the few they had left that were imported from Ethiopia.  I wanted one that had some historical significance and one that I could shoot, not just a collectors item.  The Carbine I received from RTI is and Inland, Serial Number 174856, so an early weapon build.  The barrel on the Carbine is Inland dated 12/42.  So I think the barrel and receiver are probably a pair from the original weapon.  However, most of the other pieces are clearly from an upgrade/rebuild.  The stock has no markings except for an S.A. on the inside rail just back of where the barrel band would be.  So I am thinking it was a Springfield Armory rebuild.  Stock is low wood, oval cut out.  Upper hand guard is 4  rivet.  Barrel band is Type III with bayonet lug.  Trigger housing is marked Inland, but is a Type VI which I understand were used on M2's and also M1's, but certainly not original with this gun  Safety is upgraded to flip type rather than push button.  Sight is Type 3.  Round bolt.  I understand that some M1's were converted to M2's and wondered if that is what was intended for this rebuild.  I have included some pictures and could provide more.  Would appreciate any feedback on this gun and later conversions of M1's to M2's.

Edited by jjspearson - Jul 11 2020 at 10:56am
Jim Pearson
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2020 at 4:13pm
Welcome to the forum Jim, as you already know, your carbine is a mixed part rebuild, no telling who did the rebuild though with no actual rebuild marks on the stock, also no telling if that stock has been with that carbine since it was rebuilt. The SA in the location that you mention indicates that the stock was made by Springfield Armory. Read the below links for more info on the use of the upgrade parts on your carbine.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
PLN-TAP-7 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLN-TAP-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2020 at 5:49pm
As far as I can see from your pictures the stock is a Pot Belly (seems to have the extra thickness of wood in front of the magazine well). But that fit with the SA markings.
Also, is it a set of two numbers or letters just under the sling oval cut or just dings?

"I wanted one that had some historical significance and one that I could shoot, not just a collectors item. "
What you have is a gun which had soldiered on so you have a shooter which is collectable and must have plenty of history before it reaches your hands. The point is just you will certainly never know about its particular history (and no one tried yet to revert its history as if it stopped in the 1940ies!).
I am sure you will enjoy it.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2020 at 7:36pm
Trigger housing and mag catch are definitely M2. Without seeing the internals I can't tell what else might be. Round bolts were used on both M1s and M2s so you can't really say it is M2.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
jjspearson View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjspearson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2020 at 10:34pm
Thanks for respon ding.  The imprint is S  A , no periods.. I is approximately 1 1/4 inches back of where the barrel band mark is on the left inside rail of the stock if you are pointing forward.  I cannot find any other marks on the stock.  Noticed that the upper hand guard has a P  J on the underside rail.

Wondered why they would put a round bolt on 1942 vintage receiver/barrel?  Also why put an M2 stock and and M2 trigger housing on an "old" rebuild?

Don't think the stock is a "Pot Belly"?  But has the longer barrel groove at the front.  Pretty sure it is not the original 1942 stock.  I don't see any marks but the S A on the underside of the stock rail forward. 

Thanks for replying.

Would Springfield Armory have done the rebuild or Inland?

Edited by New2brass - Jul 11 2020 at 11:01am
Jim Pearson
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2020 at 11:11pm
Jim,
If you open the links that I posted above and read the information, your questions will be answered.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2020 at 9:10am
Originally posted by jjspearson jjspearson wrote:

Wondered why they would put a round bolt on 1942 vintage receiver/barrel?  Also why put an M2 stock and and M2 trigger housing on an "old" rebuild?

Define old. The M1 carbine and its variants were all delivered between June 1942 to August 1945 which is only 3 years and two months. if you take Inland and Winchester out of the equation we are down to 18 months.

Round bolts, late trigger housings, slides, sears potbelly stocks were not considered M2 parts. they were the latest revision to be used on any of the carbine variants. The round bolt predates the M2.

However, some of the latest parts would be required as well as 7 additional parts to convert any M1 carbine into an M2. The presence of a late part is not evidence that that carbine ever had the other 7 parts.

Inland and Winchester were the only companies to manufacture the M2 carbine. Once the M2 carbine was in production we would see the late parts like the slide and trigger housing on the M1 carbines as well.

Rebuilds happened during the war. Upgraded parts such as adjustable sights, flip safety and barrel bands with the bayonet lug would be used if they were available.
Most rebuilds however came after production ceased so any of those parts would wind up on any rebuilt carbine.

Originally posted by jjspearson jjspearson wrote:

Don't think the stock is a "Pot Belly"?  But has the longer barrel groove at the front.  Pretty sure it is not the original 1942 stock.  I don't see any marks but the S A on the underside of the stock rail forward. 

Thanks for replying.

Your stock is a potbelly and identifiable by your last picture.
I think SA started making the replacement stocks in 1950. If someone knows otherwise please let me know.

As Wayne pointed out much of your questions can be answered in the links he shared. Stocks sometimes have been through a rebuild several times and therefore could have several rebuild markings. Sometimes the stock may have been sanded which removed the previous rebuild marking.
Some rebuilds took place overseas and they were not to apply a rebuild marking.

If your stock is absent any marking including markings in the grip area it is also possible it was a replacement stock that could have been done at anytime including in Ethiopia.

What is the orientation of the Inland logo on the trigger housing?

Let us know how she shoots!

jjspearson View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjspearson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2020 at 10:45am
Wayne,

I did open the links you sent.  Thanks for the information.

Inland Logo is upside down on the right side of the trigger housing.
Jim Pearson
Carl Bine View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Bine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2020 at 4:32pm
Enjoy it in whatever form it's in. It's real, and it has history. I love them all. To me, any rebuild is 100x better than a pristine carbine with nauseatingly fake cartouches.

Enjoy!
 Post Reply Post Reply