The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Right Rail Wear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Right Rail Wear
    Posted: Jul 09 2020 at 7:18am
Judging from the wear-pattern on this receiver where the right bolt lug is raked over the rail, could one make any determination as to it's use, in terms of rounds fired? I have noticed different wear-patterns on different carbine receivers in this area. In particular, what I considered premature wear on commercial receivers. I have never noticed a wear pattern this severe on any USGI carbine, other than this picture of a Winchester, that I have owned or handled. I would suppose that it should be no cause for concern, but can this be normal wear in a well-fired carbine? Is it something one might consider in evaluation of the condition of a receiver?

I borrowed this part of a picture from another source because it best shows the wear in question. Disregard the fact that the rail could be cracked.

Post Reply Post Reply