Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IBM 3899447 Thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol'Sarge2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IBM 3899447 Thoughts?
    Posted: Jun 30 2020 at 5:23pm
Hello, hoping to tap into the knowledge on this forum.

Ordered one of the Royal Tiger Imports "Early Model" M1 carbines during the Father's Day special.

The RTI advertisement for their "Early Models" guarantees a flip site, no bayonet lug, and push safety.  Additionally, they are supposed to be non-refurbed/ in original condition. 

Went to the FFL yesterday to pick up the weapon and after opening the box refused receipt.  Right off the bat the safety is a selector switch not the promised push button safety.  I took some pictures and did a little more reading/referencing at home.  I believe the stock is wrong.  The upper handguard is wrong.  The safety is wrong.  And possibly the round bolt is wrong.  Additionally, and this is admittedly subjective, this thing looks more "Fair" condition than "Good" to me.

Will be coordinating with RTI customer service to arrange a return.  Before I do, am I missing anything?  Is this a gem in the rough I don't realize? 

Thank You!

SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2020 at 6:01pm
Sure looks to me does not have a correct trigger housing, do believe it has had some pretty good use. Hope they make it right with you.
Ol'Sarge2K View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol'Sarge2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2020 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by SWANEEDMB SWANEEDMB wrote:

Sure looks to me does not have a correct trigger housing, do believe it has had some pretty good use. Hope they make it right with you.

SWANEEDMB I appreciate the reply and insight.  For my education, what makes you think the trigger housing is incorrect?  Thanks!
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2020 at 6:42pm
Trigger group has late components, is not IBM, does not match the patina/wear of the barreled receiver. IMO
The receiver was manufactured by Auto Ordnance for IBM. 
Round bolt could be correct for the serial and does appear to have been with the barreled receiver for a long time as does the slide.
Undated IBM barrel is correct for the serial.
Flip sight is correct.
Barrel band appears to be correct and matches patina/wear.
Handguard would not be correct being a 4 rivet.
The stock has rebuild stamp and good chance it's not correct.

Ol'Sarge2K could you look for markings in the following locations and share?
Inside the stock sling well on left side of butt stock
Other side of sling swivel, not shown in picture
Top flat of front sight behind the blade

Being partial to IBM's myself and liking the been there done that look; if the trigger group was right, I would keep it but it's not. 
For the $; she is pretty salty. import stamped and not quite what was advertised IMO.

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol'Sarge2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2020 at 6:56pm
Thank You ncin1911, I should have realized that the trigger group actually having some finish left was an indicator.  

What you're saying about the bolt makes sense.  My reference book indicates the weapon's serial number should have the earlier flat bolt - but it's right on the serial number cut off line for the change over.  As you said, it does look like it's been there a long time.

Appreciate your thoughts/knowledge!
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2020 at 8:02pm
None of the RTIs have the correct stock, so that's the typical condition. One guy posted that his did and it was a very nice stock, so I'm very skeptical that it wasn't swapped for the pics, especially in the very nice condition. As ruled by the world we live in, only believe half of what you see.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Bart1015 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart1015 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2020 at 9:45pm
I had an issue with an Underwood I received from them.  The slide would not stay in the track and the stock look like someone had cut it out of a wet pine tree.  Their customer service told me to send it back with a note.  I sent it back and they are sending me out another one.  I let you know what I end up with.  
Always looking for more carbines.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2020 at 9:46pm
Welcome to our new member Ol'Sarge2k,
I'm also Interested in the slingwell marking on this stock.

I believe NO P or other stampings were done when these were outside of the US IIRC.
No way right now to know if that stock was on this IBM when that P was struck.

Minus the trigger housing (Internals only partially ID'd) and the hand guard, Plus for now the stock until markings are known. This may be very close to being near original.... With swapped trigger housing and hand guard. Stock to be determined..

Question about these RTIs- Are they Import Marked?

I've found that when this grimey that a CC stamp, especially a IBM can be very hard to see or find.

I haven't paid any attention to what these are running $$, but I hope it works out for you.

To All, Enjoy your July 4th

CH-P777

ETA: Limited view, but stock looks stout enough to be a LW B. Have to wait and see.
Living Free because of those that serve.....
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2020 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Yes Charlie, they are import marked, see below thread for pictures.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol'Sarge2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2020 at 11:02am
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Welcome to our new member Ol'Sarge2k,
I'm also Interested in the slingwell marking on this stock.

I believe NO P or other stampings were done when these were outside of the US IIRC.
No way right now to know if that stock was on this IBM when that P was struck.

Minus the trigger housing (Internals only partially ID'd) and the hand guard, Plus for now the stock until markings are known. This may be very close to being near original.... With swapped trigger housing and hand guard. Stock to be determined..

I've found that when this grimey that a CC stamp, especially a IBM can be very hard to see or find.

I haven't paid any attention to what these are running $$, but I hope it works out for you.

To All, Enjoy your July 4th

CH-P777

ETA: Limited view, but stock looks stout enough to be a LW B. Have to wait and see.

Thank You painter777.  A happy 4th of JUL to you.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2020 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Ol'Sarge2K Ol'Sarge2K wrote:

What you're saying about the bolt makes sense.  My reference book indicates the weapon's serial number should have the earlier flat bolt - but it's right on the serial number cut off line for the change over.  

the problem with some books is the information may have been believed to be accurate at the time of printing.

CCNL 329-5 show that IBM had mixed use of the round bolt in the 3.74 to the 3.849 range and after that the round bolt was most commonly observed.
A little perspective on IBM, their first deliver of carbines was in Aug 43. and the last delivery in May 44
They certainly got up to speed very fast.

RKI's descriptions are their own and not anything that the carbine community has used.
their "New" is as received from rebuild
The rebuild program started while the war was still going on Many carbines were just checked and parts swapped. The updates may not have been available when the rebuild was done.
I have not looked but suspect all of the RTI carbines have been through the very least "Clean and Inspect" rebuild before being sent to Ethiopia. 

@Charlie, the Import mark was added to our pages

Foreign rebuild were not to mark the carbine. I suspect that P on grip was from stateside rebuild.
Are there any rebuild stamps on the side of the stock?

I must say some fine examples of rebuild marks are on some of these from RTI
 Post Reply Post Reply