The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hello from Alabama

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buffalo_Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from Alabama
    Posted: Jun 22 2020 at 7:57pm
New to this forum and looking to learn about my rifle.  I have an Inland M1 handed down from my Grandfather, to my dad to me.  I enjoy reading and learning about firearms of all types and looking forward to perusing this forum!
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2020 at 7:59pm
Welcome to the forum, post some pictures when you can.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Liberium View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liberium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2020 at 12:47am
Welcome, we like pictures

1944 national postal meter .30M1
KNSA (Dutch NRA) Member
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2020 at 6:20am
Welcome to the forum. Lookin' forward to seeing your carbine.
Buffalo_Bob View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buffalo_Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2020 at 9:30am
The story behind this rifle...my Grandpa had some burned fingers and when drafted was not put on active duty.  Later in the war, he was called up and fingers and all were sent to the Philippines though not with the original invasion force.  When he returned, he drove semi truck for the remainder of his life and bought this rifle from one of his truck driver buddies.  My dad refinished it not being aware of or interested in the value that may or may not be in this rifle.  It is an Inland serial # 859XXX and has no bayonet lug or oiler though I do have 3 magazine pouches with six magazines.

I don't know a bunch about these rifles but I do know some were pieced together with surplus parts and the most valuable are those that are complete from a couple of manufacturers.  Since the rifle is more sentimental than anything, I'm not too worried about its value.  It does however, shoot pretty high so I'm wondering if the front and back sights are a "set" or if its me...the rear sight is in its lowest position btw.  Anyways...there is is and that is it's story.  I'm looking forward to learning more!

03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2020 at 9:42am
Welcome!
"Shoots high"?
How high (inches) is pretty high? What distance?

The adjustable rear sight is not the original one, but it should not affect the strike point of the carbine.
It would have had the two position flip sight when made; lots of carbines were later upgraded with the addition of the windage and elevation adjustable rear sight, either in service or after.
Don
Buffalo_Bob View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buffalo_Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2020 at 11:30am
I'd estimate about 6" high at 40 yards though I haven't measured it precisely...maybe next time I shoot it I will do so.  If the rear sight was changed, the front sight might need to be changed too...I have seen pictures of the front post being as high as the wings, but this one is slightly lower than that but again, I don't have the expertise...knowing the flip sight was the original is very helpful!  Thanks
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2020 at 1:11pm
The low position on the flip sight and the 100 yd position on the adjustable sight are set at the 
same height- i.e. they both are "sighted" for 100 yards.

Each carbine had to be "adjusted" for sighting in, by adjusting the front sight height or the windage by moving the rear sight left or right.

If your carbine shoots 6" high at 40 yards, it should be similar at 100 yards , and just about "on" at 150 or so.

You need a taller front sight if your carbine shoots high.
You can change the sight for one with a taller blade, or build up the blade on the current one- OR
just aim a little lower. Tongue

You might also have a different POI with a different brand of ammo, lower or higher.
Don
 Post Reply Post Reply