The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

KCI 15 Round Magazine Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricci1165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KCI 15 Round Magazine Issues
    Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 1:11pm
Hello folks,

I use my AO as a range carbine (USGI Carbines for serious use only) and have had zero feeding or extraction issues with both FMJ or RNSP using genuine USGI 15 round magazines.
Using KCI 15 round magazines all is good until the last round, or the 15th, which the bolt rides over.
(See Pic)
I have taken measurements of the KCI mags and compared to USGI mags.....there is quite a deviation on my digital micrometer in height and width.
My next "T&E" will be to inspect and compare the measurements of the USGI magazine follower in comparison to the KCI for possible burs.......and yes, the magazine spring on the KCI mags are installed correctly. Thank you for all replies.....
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 1:28pm
Last round in your pic looks like a spring issue, like the spring is not pushing up far/hard enough when the magazine is just about empty.

Do the KCI springs use the same diameter wire as USGI springs? Is the spring height and rate the same? Are the visually indistinguishable in a side-by-side comparison?

Never used a 15rd KCI, only their 30rd which have functioned flawlessly for me.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 1:38pm
I have the same issue with USGI and Korean mags. I have been hitting some sites looking for a source of 15-round springs. Anyone have recommendations?

Only other thing I have found that helps is to open the lips up just a tad to allow the round to ride a little higher in the magazine.

Liberium View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Liberium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 2:13pm
are you sure the spring is not mounted in the wrong way ?
1944 national postal meter .30M1
KNSA (Dutch NRA) Member
Ricci1165 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricci1165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 2:53pm
Magazine springs are installed correctly......high end to the "rear" inside the follower.
Here are some measurements of an early USGI compared to the KCI in OAL....pretty drastic!
KCI OAL 1.816
USGI OAL 1.833.5

Magazine spring thickness same.... a mystery to me ???

Ricci1165 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ricci1165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 2:57pm
Floydthecat,

I've used the Wolff M1 carbine 15 and 30 rounds springs successfully. The material is precision wound and tempered from high-grade music wire.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 3:03pm
Maybe a picture of that KCI and GI mag from a top angle would help for comparison.

Does the KCI act up every time?
Have you tried a GI spring in it ?
Wonder if the Catch nubs are lower/higher on the KCI?

I haven't used a KCI either.

Good Luck to you..... Keep us posted

CH-P777

PS: Liberium, He states the spring is installed correctly
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 3:18pm
Floyd,
Midway currently has a limited supply of Wolff extra power 15rd Springs:

CH-P777
Ricci1165 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricci1165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 3:27pm
Fellas, thanks for all the help.....

The KCI mag runs 100% UNTIL the very last round. I even tried downloading the mag to 14 to see what would happen, same as pictured.

The USGI mags run 100% "COMPLETELY".....

Magazine catch nubs same height and location as USGI
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 3:37pm
deleted
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 3:37pm
What leads me to "adjustment" of the feed lips were that my GI and KCI (one mag) were doing the same thing, but I know the springs have to be weak in my GI mags. Bending the lips out (not much) actually solves the problem, but I am betting new springs would help too. If all of OP's other mags function, maybe just go ahead and adjust the KCI mag....that might fix it.

From gun-to-gun you can have issues with magazines. Might work just fine in one action, but not in another. Prolly has to do with small tolerances among housing fit, mag-catch...etc.

Thanks you guys for the Midway heads-up.
Ricci1165 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ricci1165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 3:44pm
I have a 10 pack of Wolff XP 15 round mag springs and will try them next prior to adjusting the feed lips.

Thank s again for all the replies fellas.....
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 3:52pm
Read some reviews from the Midway link I posted above.
One is a aftermarket mag not feeding the last round until replacing the spring.
Others were replacing GI mag springs that were weak causing similar trouble.

First, I'd try one of your used GI springs in that KCI mag.
If that doesn't work and you know there are no burrs on the follower, then try as Floyd said by tweaking the feed lips.
Lightly lube the KCI follower while your in there.

CH-P777

ETA: Sounds like you have a good game plan, Good Luck
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Thanks you guys for the Midway heads-up.

Not sure who makes them and I see slow order times but Numrich has some 15rd springs for $5.00 each:

CH-P777
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 4:54pm
Why not just order the springs from Wolf?

If you want to experiment, but a couple 30 round springs also, and cut them to one or two "coils" longer
than the normal 15 round spring and try that!
Don
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 7:26pm
Thanks O3MAN,
My first visit to the Wolff web site today after all of the above was already posted.
I struggled a bit to find the area on the Wolff site that listed the mag springs.
I didn't want to cloud the threads anymore than I already had done.
Especially after reading the OP has extra Wolff XP springs already.

Good Weekend All

CH-P777
Ricci1165 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricci1165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 7:44pm
O3manvV,

Good idea! I’m trying the Wolff springs in my KCI 15 rounders, and will try an extra coil cut down from my Wolff 30 round springs and report here next week. We’re almost there guys!
Ricci1165 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricci1165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2020 at 7:57am
This AO feed ramp needed polishing BADLY to be reliable with RNSP ammo, especially at the "3:00" position, where the magazine round on the right side rests. Took about 2 hours of polishing with valve lashing compound followed up with Flitz..... Thanks!

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2020 at 8:17am
A wide variation of feed-ramp designs obviously exists. I’ve seen variations in styles from single down-the-middle ramps to dual ramps. Can’t say that I have ever had a close look at the AO version, but that one looks rather wide in respect to others I have seen. I guess what ever works...works.
101Abn View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101Abn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2020 at 7:11am
Any follow-up reporting on the magazine issue? Did the Wolff springs fix the issue?

Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply