Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Universal Redux bolt assembly needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crusader_6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Universal Redux bolt assembly needed
    Posted: Jun 12 2020 at 8:32pm

Hi everyone!! I recently came across an Universal Carbine Redux, and after much research, inspection and a conversation with Jim Mock, came to the conclusion I may need a bolt assembly replacement. Here is a photo of my bolt with arrows pointing at the issue. 

I tried Numrich, Gunbroker and eBay. No luck so far.  Does someone here have a Spare one for sale? Thanks!
Here are some other photos of the bolt.

Regards,

Rubén 

03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2020 at 11:08pm
Yes, the bolt does show an unusual wear spot, is it causing a problem?
Unless it is causing some problem, why would you change it?

Occasionally Universal bolts show up online, you will just have to keep looking at those sources if you must find a replacement.
JMHO.Cool

Don
Crusader_6 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crusader_6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2020 at 11:11pm
I haven’t fired it yet. Incredibly here in Puerto Rico all gunshops I visited had no ammo for it. Had to order some. I was just inspecting the parts and thought that it may be a problem. Just didn’t want to fire it prior a decent check up. Thanks for your reply. I’ll keep surfing the Web for it. 

Regards,

Rubén 
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2020 at 12:16am
Rubén, I ordered 500 rounds of .30 carbine from www.sportsmansguide.com I paid around $120.  I just took my underwood Out last weekend and here is from 70yrds.  I couldn’t be happier. 
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crusader_6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2020 at 12:41am
that’s great!! Sadly I cant have ammo shipped over here to Puerto Rico. It is against the law. I have to go through a FFL. That target looks good! Keep it up!! 
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2020 at 4:39am
I have one in stainless steel, complete system. If you want to discuss it you can PM me. It could be that a spec. USGI bolt will work, if the receiver bridge is properly cut for the floating pin. You will have to have someone inspect and check that feature. Universal bolts are generally USGI spec. except for the spring-loaded firing pin feature implemented to overcome the inability to cut the receiver bridge notch correctly.

You don’t need the entire “assembly”. The extractor and ejector guts can be reused.

I’d determine if the receiver bridge-cut is safe enough to use a USGI bolt and firing pin before trying to find a rare bolt.

However, if all efforts become exhausted, I do have a complete bolt. It ain’t cheap!
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crusader_6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2020 at 4:53am
Here’s my receiver. I believe it dont have the cut you mentioned. 
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2020 at 4:56am
Looks like no effort at all was made to cut the bridge, so you're stuck with the revised firing pin system.

I have a late Iver Johnson that had a Universal bolt installed with the spring-loaded pin. I determined the bridge-cut had been made and was safe to use a USGI bolt. You are not so lucky.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crusader_6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2020 at 5:03am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Looks like no effort at all was made to cut the bridge, so you're stuck with the revised firing pin system.

I have a late Iver Johnson that had a Universal bolt installed with the spring-loaded pin. I determined the bridge-cut had been made and was safe to use a USGI bolt. You are not so lucky.

Yea, that’s why I came here asking. Thanks for stepping up and offering your help. I will keep on trying to find it either assembled or stripped. 

Regards,

Ruben
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crusader_6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2020 at 1:24am
Hi everyone! still on the lookout for either an Universal bolt assembly or a stripped bolt. Be safe! 

Regards,

Rubén 
 Post Reply Post Reply