Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Type I Barrel band-Is it Genuine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burrojack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Type I Barrel band-Is it Genuine?
    Posted: Jun 02 2020 at 1:59pm
Hi Carbine Folk,

Recently returned to the Forum after a long hiatus, I have collected M1 carbines for about 15 years and recently got back into the game. I have an S'G' carbine that I purchased at a gunshow about 6 months ago. The seller had replaced the stock with a true S'G' stock (it had another maker when he bought it) but had not otherwise altered parts. It had mostly the correct type S'G' parts inside and out that seemed to match pretty well (uniform wear) including a flip sight without any stake marks. The flip sight is not S'G' but perhaps the original one was damaged and replaced in the field?  THE PUZZLE  that I am not sure about is the barrel band. The swivel, I discovered with help from the forum was a fake, but I am not sure about the band itself. One person offered the "pinch test" with the band taken off the stock and screw removed. . . .. if the ends of the band spring back when pinched, its real, if they do not, probably a fake, but I could not get a clear indication of this, especially when I did the test on a true type I band.  SO, I am posting two pix of barrel band for your inspection and comment. The front sight is the correct one, and I don't think it has been removed or replaced (no clear evidence), and there is no clear stain on the barrel from a type III band as often appears, so that I take to mean that the current type I band was not installed by a previous owner. I would appreciate your input, Thank you!!!
JnS
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2020 at 2:32pm
It's a pretty bad fake from the angle taken.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2020 at 2:58pm
  burrojack, I read your post and the reply.  I bought a Winchester only to find out the rear sight, stock for sure were humped. Possibly other parts also. I feel your pain.  
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2020 at 7:58pm
Yup, fake. I am at the point where if I spot what I think is a fake part, where there's smoke there's fire, the rifle is dismissed.
burrojack View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burrojack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 10:53am
Hey GotSn,

Can you email me privately to tell me WHY you think barrel band is a fake?  Don't want to educate humpers but want to learn more about fakes!  Thank you,

Burrojack (John)
JnS
burrojack View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burrojack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 10:55am
Hi Why Carbines,

Can you email me privately to explain WHY you think barrel band is a fake?? I want to learn more but not help the humpers get better!  Thank you,

Burrojack  (John)
JnS
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2020 at 4:57pm
I have no "secret" knowledge, but just looking at your picture:
-the spot welds are funky and don't look original
-the scar on the bend is not usual.
JMHO.Cool
Don
 Post Reply Post Reply