The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member and new to the Carbine too

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrclark303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member and new to the Carbine too
    Posted: May 27 2020 at 11:43am
Hi all,

Many thanks for allowing me to join your forum. I live in the UK, so are only allowed bolt or Straight Pull in anything over .22WMR.

I thought I would never be able to get my hands on an M1 Carbine, but a batch came in via Italy and I was able to get my hands on a lovely late 1940's  period correct M1A1 Carbine.

Converted to Straight Pull, but still lovely to shoot.

She's Inland made, s/n 6386222. Barrel 44 and Inland marked. The Sn was stamped under all the dirt and grease in the barrel channel, I've been told this is typical of Israeli issue Carbines?

Earlier milled bolt

The stock has all the correct IO markings and foundry markings to the metalwork

MR stamp on the left  hand side (Mount Rainer Ordnance Depot rebuilt post war), so the usual mods, type 3 band, turning safety and type 3 rear sight.

The trigger block is Underwood type 2.

All in all, very pleased, it's in reasonably good order for it's it's age, with no wood splits, a decent bore and no corrosion, with plenty of finish left.

I'll post pics...

Wonderful to finally have a Carbine!

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 11:54am
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 12:01pm
What’s the “legal” method to convert to straight-pull over there?

I found a picture of a carbine converted to bolt action a year-or-so ago and circulated it here on the forum. I think the slide was bobbed and a bolt handle added to the right lug? 
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 12:15pm
Hello and Welcome Clark,
Is this the one you just got to shoot in the last week or two?

Cheers,
Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 2:00pm
If piston modifications are allowed you can add washers to the hold the piston back further or have a non movable piston made. these used to be available commercially. Think it is in the NLs if anyone wants to look it up.

Some have made it so the slide stays further back so the piston does not hit the slide. The problem is that piston hammers the nut and the gas chamber is prone to cracking. So if doing the piston above it must not move.

There was another thread or two on this subject. 
Here is one

Mrclark303 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrclark303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

What’s the “legal” method to convert to straight-pull over there?

I found a picture of a carbine converted to bolt action a year-or-so ago and circulated it here on the forum. I think the slide was bobbed and a bolt handle added to the right lug? 

All they have done is depress the piston in its carrier and weld it in position.

The rifle cycles like butter and shoots beutifully, it's such a nice calibre...
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrclark303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

If piston modifications are allowed you can add washers to the hold the piston back further or have a non movable piston made. these used to be available commercially. Think it is in the NLs if anyone wants to look it up.

Some have made it so the slide stays further back so the piston does not hit the slide. The problem is that piston hammers the nut and the gas chamber is prone to cracking. So if doing the piston above it must not move.

There was another thread or two on this subject. 
Here is one

Thanks for the information, interesting read. The piston has to be made completely inoperable to be legal here, even this is somewhat debatable from a legal position here ... I say life's too bloody short to worry!
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrclark303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Hello and Welcome Clark,
Is this the one you just got to shoot in the last week or two?

Cheers,
Charlie-Painter777

Hi Charlie, it certainly is!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 3:01pm
Makes me want to keep a couple of spare barrels lying around, even one with a cracked gas cylinder for “future” modifications, desired or otherwise.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 5:37pm
Welcome to the forum.  Really enjoy hearing about rules and regulations in other countries.  Interesting modification.  Looking forward to seeing the pics.  Thanks for sharing.
Beezer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 6:12pm
Welcome,  I am a new member to the forums as well and I cannot soak up enough of the knowledge these young timers are spewing on this forum  Wish I would have known about this place earlier.  
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrclark303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 7:28pm
Many thanks for the warm welcome guys, I usually hang out over on Milsurps, but the depth of Carbine knowledge here is staggering!

Just about any questions I could have are in your excellent knowledge library...

Hope I can contribute in a small way too. Here's a few pics. Post War NOS  M2 stock restored for occasionally swapping out....
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrclark303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 7:31pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 7:42pm
Nice, looks like a beautiful shooting range.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrclark303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2020 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Cheers mate, it's an old RAF range my club has access too, Covid19 restrictions, so max of two at a time....
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 6:06am
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Hear hear.  
Thanks for sharing.  
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrclark303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 10:17am
Slight issue with the NOS M2 woodwork, the hand guard kept popping off after 3/4 shots, I couldn't figure out what was wrong until I had a dig about among my spares and found another beech top hand guard, the one I fitted is about 5mm too short ... and slightly angled at the front...!

So, do I have a very rare top hand guard for an experimental carbine that's designed to shoot around very slightly graduated right hand corners!LOL

Or, (more likely) do I have a Friday afternoon, after the pub special!

Replacement works just fine....

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 11:13am
It’s been my experience that the USGI hand guards won’t vary enough to matter. Aftermarket guards can vary by as much as 1/4” or more. Commercial copies usually run longer than USGI.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrclark303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 11:28am
In my case 1/4" too shortLOL
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2020 at 4:48pm
Sounds like you got a monday morning handguard! Operator must have still been half asleep!
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image