Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need some advice on rear sight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bendito31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some advice on rear sight
    Posted: May 24 2020 at 3:27pm
Hi all, 

New to the forum, first post. Been lurking and learning for awhile, really grateful to all the passionate M1 Carbine owners out there. 

I own two M1 Carbines that I believe to be relatively original. They were both given to me by relatives who did not provide much info on them. I've decided I have to part with one of them, but I have a few questions for the forum. 

One is an Underwood barrel 3-44, with a National Postal Meter Receiver, serial 1525xxx, stock has oval shaped oiler cut, lower slide opening, stock is marked with a P-J, rifle has a lever safety, type 2 rear sights, "M" etched on the mag release, and a bayonet lug. Those are the highlights. To me these various features indicate it has at least been reconditioned or rebuilt. 

The other is an Underwood 11-43, with Underwood Receiver, serial 2781xxx, stock is marked RMC, I-shaped oiler cut, higher slide opening, and every part appears to be Underwood sourced, with the exception of the trigger housing which has a Q-NL on it, but I think this was common even for an original. It has a type 1 rear flip sight. 

My questions: I feel the second is definitely the more valuable of the two and that is the one I intend to sell, I have completed the data sheet (mostly, I did not take apart the bolt). I am wondering if anyone disagrees with this, or if there is anything I have not considered? 

My second question, the type 1 rear sight on the 2nd carbine has come loose. I have no idea how to "re-stake" it and I get the impression that I can damage the dovetail if I tried and failed. I would lean toward applying some Loctite if I was to fix it. My question for the forum is if you think I should even do this if I am selling it? The prospective buyer may know how to re-stake it or may prefer to set it themselves. How negative would it be if I offer it with a loose or even separate sight (the sight is original, to the best of my knowledge). What does the forum think? 

Thanks in advance, and Happy Memorial Day, everyone.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 3:40pm
You certainly already determined which is the more valuable. Someone here will be along to advise on the authenticity of the trigger housing.

As for the loose rear sight on the other one, there are ways to fix that, but I never have been a fan of gluing anything on a gun. Unless you are real handy with the right tools, might be best to just sell it as is and let the buyer make repairs. I am really bugged to receive a carbine that had been fixed with shims or glue and that is the first thing I would remedy.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 3:59pm
The 2nd sounds more valuable if the parts are real and not reproductions. I wouldn't do anything to the rear sight since you're selling it, and it might indicate it wasn't original to the receiver. Have you got close pics of it you can provide?
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
bendito31 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bendito31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 6:45pm
harder than expected to get really good up close pics... hopefully this works...

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 6:47pm
Ok, thanks. The 1st pic isn't good enough to tell. The other two suggest to me it's ok, Looks like it has tooling marks on the one side?

PS: how the receiver dove tail is staked can tell more of the story. Is it little chisel marks where the sight used to be or crater points? Some have both and some have none.
bendito31 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bendito31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 7:20pm
my other M1 with the type 2 sight has a notch in the sight that is aligned with a punch mark in the receiver. 

This M1 with type 1 sight has two chisel marks (front and back) on he receiver that appear to align with the right edge of the sight. That is another reason I did not reattach it yet, i was not exactly sure how it was supposed to be aligned.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 8:12pm
That sounds like it's just flip staking then and the chisel marks are typically on the right side of the flip's after install. The S faces to the left side if the receiver. Point the muzzle downrange with the receiver toward your stomach. Take the sight in your right hand and insert it in the dovetail from the right side, with the S facing the left side. If that's what's too loose after sliding in there are ways to correct it. if you're selling I wouldn't do anything permanent. Some of us have had a little experience.

The type II sight would have round crater stakes.
 Post Reply Post Reply