Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbine Identification & Values

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rugerluger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbine Identification & Values
    Posted: May 24 2020 at 11:05am
Hello All, I'm new to the forum and call myself Rugerluger ( catchy huh!) Anyway, took the Admin baby walking me thru the first steps to get started on the forum. I'm pretty dense about taking insturctions .  Anyway, I wanted to seek some thoughts about 2 early carbines I have had for 30+ years.  One is an Inland , serial 2422X, no bayo lug no adj sight and as far as I can tell it is original.  The other is a Winc. serial 122880X also no bayo and no adj sights w/ a "W" on front of barrel.  I am wondering if they have or should have some other markings and /or type wood etc ? Would appreciate and info. I am not able to send pictures and printer is on the blink. Thanks for listening...
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 11:44am
The Inland would have an I cut oiler hole and the Winchester wouldn't be I cut. They should both have a flip sight. Win stock would be GHD over WRA with a crossed cannon nearby. I'm not any good on Inland as to when the right side stamp started but I'll guess it would have just the crossed cannon on the right side.

Welcome.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 12:53pm
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

Also look for an itty bitty "W" in the sling well of the Winchester.

The Inland should have either "OI" or "HI" in the sling well.

There should be similar markings on the hand guard interior flat surfaces.

The early Winchester might also have their "PW" styled Winchester logo as a proof mark along with an Ordnance bomb on the top of the barrel. Sometimes they are lightly stamped.

Is there a manufacturers name or date stamped on the Inland barrel?
JackP
Rugerluger View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rugerluger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 2:54pm
Thanks for feedback.   On the Inland, here are all the markings I can see:
On Barrel top Front,  Inland Mfg Divn., General Motors  9/42. The front sight has a N or Z on top rear . Top handguard has 2 rivets at rear. Stock has a Circle P on bottom of handgrip on flat part. Inside the well cutout on the stock (for the sling holder) there is a flaming bomb and a 10 or 01 depending upon looking at it from front or rear. Behind the flip sight it has ILLAND DIV and serial # 2422X.  That is all I can see. The sling is army green canvas with a snap closure at front....
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rugerluger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 3:17pm
On the Winchester, here is info:  Has a W on barrel top. Has  a 2 rivet top handguard, Has an 01 on inside cutout (for sling) ,on stock left side. Has a T stamped on front of triggerguard behind hte mag well. Behind the flip sight has Winchester (In Cursive) and serial 132380X  * The serial number is shown as 1.32380X. Has push button safety (same as Inland, except Inland has checkering on both ends) There is a MS or SW on right side of safety button.  Top , where the operating rod opens it, says  US CARBINE  CAL.30 MI.  That is all I see, no cartouches unless worn off.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 4:03pm
Hello and welcome to the forum.  Too bad on not being able to send pics.  Next would be to remove the stock and look at the trigger assembly, slide and bolt for what identifications they have. Both sound like really great carbines. 
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 4:04pm
That all sounds like what you would see on original versions of each and having sanded stocks. People though the years sanded off the cartouches on the right side of stocks to clean up the appearance, hence removing valuable features.

Sometimes you get lucky and can find remnants of the original stamps. Two I've bought were checkered like a shotgun but still had ghost cartouches of the acceptance stamps so I sanded the checkering off to salvage them. Ugly became very nice.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 4:46pm
So far, from what you've described, the Inland looks original. The flaming bomb in the sling well with the "OI" (Made by Overton for Inland) is correct for the early S/N. The checkered safety is also unique to early Inlands. What about the cut out for the oiler? Is it "I" shaped or oval? The barrel date is correct for the S/N so it is probably original as well.

The Winchester also has an Inland stock so that's not correct. The "T" on the TH is probably an inspectors mark or maybe some other factory identifier that we will never know the real meaning. The "SW" safety is correct for that S/N range.

Check out doing Data Sheets on these carbines here:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/carbine-club-data-sheets_topic26.html
JackP
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rugerluger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 5:25pm
Thanks for all the hlep.  Last thing I checked is that the Inland has the I cut inlet for the oiler but the Winchester does not have the I cut. Think thats what TenOCEE said. Inland stock is plainer and Winc stock is more smooth and slightly glossy, like furniture.  Have had the Winc about since 35-40 years, traded a P38 for it. Some history on the Inland, I bought a 40pc collection about 20 years ago, it was her late husbands. They were from New Mexico. She said her husband after the war started a trading post and traded mostly with the Indians out in New Mexico., got most of his collection from the Indians, some knives other old lever actions etc. Very few things were pristine, some were well used . I only kept a few things thru the years, a Winc. 9422XTR 22 mag lever action in the orig box with hanging tags and only other new stuff he had was a Chief Crazy Horse in 38-55 and a Centennial also in 38-55 both new in boxes, other stuff was older, some neeeding repair. Anyway If it fired , I was interested and bought a lot over the years. Some of you probably know of the "Tanker" Garand, yes I know they were afterwar built by Natl. Ordinance and others but have a beauty in that and as far as military, have the best P17 you have ever saw, original shiny blue , taken out of cosmoline, matching everything, cartouche etc and was lucky to win a number in the CMP and got a nice AA rebuilt Remington Rand 1911 A-1, Frame Serial # is correctly in the R Rand Serial # range.  Sorry to get started talking, this cooped up indoors situtation is getting to me but wife has very susceptable lungs (pneumonia) and since we're both 78  we are not taking any chances. Hope all of you have stayed safe and will continue to do so.  Thanks for all help, will be reading a lot on the forum and learning.   Out.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 7:00pm
Winchester trigger housings have a letter stamped on them in that location.
 Post Reply Post Reply