Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who made this stock & handguard?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slklmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who made this stock & handguard?
    Posted: May 21 2020 at 7:55pm
Does anyone know who made this stock, for which prime contractor, and what time frame?  Same for handguard?

I can find no markings of any kind on the stock other than the number '17' in white paint on the heel and what looks to me like 'B-028-71-61845' stamped in black ink in the operating slide channel.  On the handguard, the only marking I see is 'L-J'.  Thanks
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 6:31am
I've seen some pretty weird commercial stocks show-up at gun shows. I have an ERMA West German replacement stamped in the sling-well and hand guard with a string of characters resembling that style, but the verbiage doesn't match yours. The number painted on the heel of the grip sure looks foreign to me. The seating of the rivets in the hand guard tab also looks a little strange.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 6:43pm
You are missing an important part of your stock in your pictures. The side profile between the grip area and the nose. I am confident it would be a potbelly by other features observed.

The slingwell back cut makes me think foreign manufacture. 

The Stock part number was B28-7161844. B28 means Carbine cal..30 M1, M1A1, M2 AND M3 

When there was a revision I do not think the number changed. If so the 5 on the end is odd. I have seen it on a box of post war stocks meant for foreign sales but, may also be suspect to the odd nomenclature. 

Being that it is B- 028 it may put the stock in time frame when we went from Standard Nomenclature List (SNL) numbers to Federal Stock Number (FSN) systems. 

The L-J is believed to be Lumb Woodworking to Jewel Brothers.
this would be a wartime replacement or just post war. The marking requirements were dropped after the war.
The 4 rivets could be late war production or it could have been a 2 rivet that was rebuilt. Sometimes you can see where the channel was cut longer.

My question is it walnut? It looks like a lighter wood that was stained. 
Any back story? Was it on an import marked carbine? May narrow down where the stock came from.

Edit to add:
Post about the 60's stocks with number ending in 5

Some handguards that I suspect may be "Copycats" due to markings.:

Edited by New2brass - May 22 2020 at 7:22pm
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 9:10pm
The buttplate and recoil plate obviously could have been added at any point in time. But, it might be helpful to know of any markings on those parts and see the buttplate pattern. We have info on several buttplates made by other countries in addition to those made here for the GI carbines. Also the later commercial carbines.

Thanks for sharing this one.

Jim
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 10:19pm
Is the left side/top of the forward barrel channel marked SA ?
How long is the barrel channel..... 4.15" ?
How many holes under the Buttplate ?
Is there the extra support shelf for the bottom of the Recoil Plate ?

Looks Stained.

Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 11:14am
We found it in ORD 9 SNL B-28 (1949)

B028-7161845 STOCK, assy
Composed of:
1 ESCUTCHEON
1 PLATE
1 PLATE
1 SCREW
1 SCREW
1 SPRING
1 STOCK

This is repeated for B028-0100700 STOCK, assy (Alternate for STOCK, assy 7161845)
the difference is the the non potbelly stock for the M1 only.

the part number is again used in ORD 8 SNL B-28 (1955) but the alternate number is no longer listed.

So  B028-7161844 is just the stock and  B028-7161845 is the stock with all the metal.
slklmoore View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slklmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 7:16pm
Many thanks to floyd, Dan, Jim and Charlie for the replies.  It looks like the mystery of the last number stamped in the slide channel has been solved - it is clearly a '5' as this photo shows:

To answer some of the questions raised:
This stock is off an Inland s/n 62485XX, with an undated IBM barrel, flat A.I. bolt, E279A slide marked with the "dot-U-dot" in circle in the slide box, 'BE-B'-marked stamped/brazed TH, unmarked recoil plate and stamped adjustable rear sight.  It is not import-marked.  Barrel channel length is 4 3/16 inches.  There are no markings on the left side/top of the forward barrel channel.  There is only the one screw hole under the butt plate.  I've taken some more pictures, including of the recoil plate shelf area, the recoil plate itself and some profile views, alone and with 2 other stocks for comparison regarding color and profile. 

In the above pictures, the top stock is an S-HB, the middle stock is the stock in question, and the bottom stock is an M2 potbelly off my Inland M3 64066XX.  To me, the stock in question doesn't look as much like a potbelly as the M3 stock, but maybe more than the S-HB.  Maybe somewhere inbetween?  Here are some more profile views of just the stock in question:

Here's the left side/top of the forward barrel channel:

Here's the butt plate inside and outside, and underneath:

Here are some photos of the recoil plate and the shelf area:

As far as what species of wood, I have no clue.  I am not nearly enough of a woodworker to be able to tell walnut from beech from anything else.  If anyone can tell by looking at these pictures, I'd be glad to hear about it.

Thanks again,
Scott

Post Reply Post Reply