The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Armscor Ammo in my ‘43 Inland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MilsurpsUSGI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 9:05pm
I just came upon this thread and also had trouble with a box of Armscor ammo about 15 years ago. I had a round that failed to fire in one of my Inlands and upon checking, found the bolt hadn't fully closed. The case length was way too long. I think there were (2) rounds in the box that were that way.

I bought a bulk pack of BVAC loads a few years later that were loaded with Armscor bullets and they were all in spec as far as OAL and case length, but they had way too much crimp on them. I did some research and found where a guy had an "out of battery" blow up with his carbine using BVAC and I didn't want to take a chance on them. BVAC took them back and replaced them with loads that were completely in spec and properly crimped.

Later I had a bulk pack that was loaded for/by Armscor in Montana but did not have Armscor's name on the packaging. The OAL on those was 1.645 +/- .008".   I've reloaded a couple boxes using Armscor bullets for my IBM and set them at 1.66"- 1.67" and they worked fine. Since these bullets are anywhere from .015"-.025" shorter than other bullets I've been using, I wanted to seat them with a shorter OAL to approximate the same distance from the mouth of the case to the base of the bullet, in an attempt to not cause a variation in the pressures. I still have several hundred of them left and plan to go to maybe 1.65" on the OAL in the future. Some of the reviews on these bullets have information recommending 1.625" OAL. I've read that the SAAMI spec is 1.625"-1.680".

The notes I have show Armscor bullets measuring .655" and you show .645", so maybe they've shortened them up a bit more - possibly the contour has changed a bit, or it seems like the weight would be a bit lighter? It looks like you have it pretty well figured out, but to be on the safe side, I wouldn't crimp more than about .001" and .002" at the most - some don't crimp at all. Others don't, but I always use the #41 Military primers just to play it safe. - Bob
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2020 at 4:42pm
Having just corrected a feed issue on a carbine...again, I thought I would refresh this topic. The feeding issue topic comes up often across all forums. Before we go to purchasing parts, discounting ammo and grinding on feed ramps, consider the magazine...every time and it's often mentioned as a problem.

The round has to be positioned high enough to be stripped out of the magazine and lined-up with the chamber, or hit the feed ramp high enough so they won't hang. If the round is setting too low in the magazine, the bolt will jam it into the receiver just below the feed ramp, then it's hung.

All it takes is a slight bending of the lips outward to raise the round high enough to shoot right into the chamber or the upper part of the feed ramp. Not too much at all...trial-n-error. I am talking about a couple of thousandths at the most. Too far and the bolt will hit the feed-lips and hang, or the rounds will pop out of the magazine.

If you have a feed issue and holding the magazine up firmly with your hand, a feed-lip adjustment will usually fix that, assuming there is nothing out of order with the catch or magazine assemly. There is a tolerance involved with anything mechanical and there can be a slight difference in trigger housing fitment to the receiver legs.
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2022 at 2:11pm
I had this same issue with Armscor. I recently got into reloading, and purchased some bayou bullets, and behold, it has a similar profile and will not chamber correctly into my picky carbines with the tighter actions. 
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2022 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Donnie Donnie wrote:

I think you should just forget using anymore Armscor ammo and explore a variety of other manufacturers.

This is good advice. We Thompson shooters stay away from Armscor ammo altogether due to other quality issues that have been experienced in the past. In fact, during the annual show and shoot of The American Thompson Association, Armscorp ammo is not allowed on the range.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12