Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WRA 1173514

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WRA 1173514
    Posted: May 18 2020 at 8:37pm
I picked this Winchester up off of Gunbroker. As received it was clad in a postwar Fajen stock and also sported a really uniquely modified rear sight. The interesting thing is that somehow this carbine was the filthiest and also the most well preserved rifle I've come across. It was absolutely carbon caked and blacked everywhere, like it had fired several thousand rounds and never been cleaned. Someone also coated all of the metal parts in grease which had hardened to an attractive brown crust. Once liberally sprayed with brake clean that all melted away to reveal perfect gray parkerizing. It was amazing to see the transformation. The lack of finish wear was really interesting given that the carbine looked beyond well used at the start of the cleaning process. Anyway, enjoy the pictures. Other than the stock, all of the metal parts appear original. I think I'm going to leave the front sight alone even though the ears are clipped. The rear sight is the prototype adjustable sight I found a month ago. It will stay on the carbine for at least one range trip. I have an NOS lyman flip sight when that time comes. The handguard is the original bullnose style. The current stock is an NPM that matches exceptionally well. 

Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 9:15pm
 You have a very nice Winchester. Congrats. I understand why you may choose to leave bubba'ed front sight alone. But, I would vote to replace it. Thanks for the story and the excellent photos.
Topper View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Topper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 9:22pm
Early spring tube ? i just bought an Winchester early spring tube, it has an 4-44 Underwood barrel wonder if that is correct ? also it has lots of S G parts on it. Carbinekid that is a great buy there! I need to find a S G with lots of Winchester parts.
Antqcoll
 Post Reply Post Reply