Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finally purchased one

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killerv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally purchased one
    Posted: May 18 2020 at 6:27pm
Been looking hard for about two years now, bid on several online, handled probably half a dozen locally. Finally...a  shop had one that really had my attention. Spent the past couple years absorbing what I could about them, the markings, etc.

Anyway,
Ran across a winchester, 2nd to the last run it seems according to serial number. Looked to have been rebuilt by Underwood according to the stock. No barrel markings, had me a little concerned, did a bunch of researching and read somewhere it maybe under the bayonet lug. I took a chance because it was clean enough to my liking. Anyway, got it home, sure enough, the WP oval was under the bayonet lug. Winchester trigger assembly. Inland slide and stock though. Really don't know how to break them down much further to check other parts.Rifling looks good, I did the 30/06 bullet test at the muzzle and it didn't bottom out. I swear there was still some cozmaline, I'm assuming from after the rebuild. Came with a sey 30rd mag, still had the cozmaline on it. I think I did ok. Stock is so nice I really don't want to take a chance cracking it, I may pickup an aftermarket for range use. I'll try to post pics later.

Thanks for all the info and knowledge this site has that gave the courage to bite the bullet.

carbinekid View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 6:33pm
sounds like a very nice carbine, congrats!

You should try and post some pictures of it.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by killerv killerv wrote:

Really don't know how to break them down much further to check other parts.

Lot's of good "how to" videos in the link below.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
killerv View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killerv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 8:46pm
After doing some more digging, I read where Underwood would apply linseed oil after the rebuild process and some would get on the metal. So linseed oil and not cosmoline I guess. 
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 9:03pm
It sounds like your careful search has resulted in a rewarding score of a Winchester. Congrats! We'll be waiting for photos. Smile
killerv View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killerv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 9:47pm
Whats a decent target ammo for these? We plan to shoot it.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 10:00pm

Whats a decent target ammo for these? We plan to shoot it.

Any brass cased FMJ ammo, lots of choices out there. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 6:51am
Congrats!  

Stock is so nice I really don't want to take a chance cracking it, I may pickup an aftermarket for range use. I'll try to post pics later.

May want to consider an M2 stock.  A little heavier duty but still GI.  As for ammo there are several discussions you can find.  As previously stated there are lots of choices and although some have good results with steel cased, I think the general consensus is to stay with brass.  
Horrible_Aim View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horrible_Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 8:08am
killerv View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killerv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 9:28am
Thanks

I would like to add that I woke up this AM with no buyers remorse. 
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 9:33am

FYI...Aim Surplus has PRVI FMJ and SP that with shipping to my area is about 0.01 a round cheaper for 1000 rds.  I didn't look at what sales tax does.  If you are fortunate to be in a state they don't charge tax then that's a big +.  Use to be that way for TN but most on-line sellers are now adding tax.Prices vary and so do shipping charges so it's usually worth comparing Total due for an order. I've seen cheaper shipping make up more than the difference in price.   
chant75 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chant75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 10:14am
Congrats on your new purchase.  I am in the same boat as you, I have  wanted one since I was a kid and finally picked one up 3 days ago.  A decent Underwood, looks good but I doubt it is all "correct."  But the price was right and it had been calling my name for about a week every time I went to the gun range.

I picked up a bandolier from AIM surplus, $45.95 for one, but their shipping is cheap and combined with other ammo i was needing.

DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 12:19pm
I've been stocking Armscor from here as I see it in stock

https://www.trueshotgunclub.com/product/armscor-30-carbine-110-grain-fmj-50-round-box
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by DonFlynn DonFlynn wrote:

https://www.trueshotgunclub.com/product/armscor-30-carbine-110-grain-fmj-50-round-box

I can't say I am a big fan of Armscor generally speaking, but it is inexpensive and has functioned very well in my carbine. So I have stockpiled about 800 rounds of it. Cool
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Donnie Donnie wrote:

Originally posted by DonFlynn DonFlynn wrote:

I can't say I am a big fan of Armscor generally speaking, but it is inexpensive and has functioned very well in my carbine. So I have stockpiled about 800 rounds of it. Cool

I've got 4000 rounds on hand. 50% of that is from when this outfit ran a sale last month at $11.99 a box. That price for brass cased .30 Carbine I'm grabbing it.

With the current jump in ammo prices and my experience post Newtown with .30 Carbine being in very short supply I'm buying 500 round case lots of any brass cased I can find. If I don't buy something else on sale this weekend on any Memorial Day sales I'll snag another 500 round case for the stash
 Post Reply Post Reply