Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Other Wartime Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Garand M1D Scope with Cheek pad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superdort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garand M1D Scope with Cheek pad
    Posted: May 01 2020 at 10:25am
Hi guys,

Bought this Garand M1D scope with the cheek path from an older guy who is selling his collection.
He told me the mount, Scope and cheek pad came from the same rifle. 
Barrel block came from arsenal in Italy late 80's.

The mount and cheek pad I think are original, Scope and barrel block I don't know.

Edited by Superdort - May 01 2020 at 5:01pm
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 9:17pm
Very nice! Thanks for the pics. The mount appears to be USGI. The pad appears USGI, but looks heavily oiled and much darker than any that I have seen. What color are the wool pads. USGI are light grey. Repos tend to be white. That looks to be an early model 82M scope. I am unsure if it is USGI or repo. Perhaps more knowledgeable scope folks will chime in. I am no expert but I know more about later 84M scopes. Now you need to get an M1D Garand!

I have a 1943 Winchester M1D with USGI M84 scope, mount and accessories and love it. (Don't tell my carbines)
Superdort View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superdort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 6:39am

The wool pads are light grey.
The back of the pad is stamped MRT 8 51

I own a IHC Garand with a modified barrel.
I bought the Garand from a Belgium shooter.
Because of governmental regulations in Belgium it was not allowed to have a rifle with a military calibre.
There for they change the barrel from 30-06 to 7x64 and grind of the 30 M1 from the receiver.
I'm thinking of taking the gun to the gunsmith to place the barrel block.
Here are a few pictures from the Garand.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 11:15am
Was the Alaskan scope USGI? I was under the impression that the CMP allowed it in their matches due to the cost of USGI scopes.

It the scope reticle a cross hair or post and line?

I am not a big Garand guy, does the scope mount without modification to the receiver?
Superdort View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superdort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 12:51pm
You can only place the mount when the Garand has a barrel block.
There for I have to go to A gunsmith to place the block.
Other option is to place A scope mount from B Square, only thing you need to have 7/8 scope rings and they are difficult to get.
The Alaskan scope has A crosshair.
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 12:08pm
You will need a new rear M1D style handguard once that new barrel and block are installed. Be very careful tightening the mount bolts. Don't overtighten or strip the threads. They are an an odd pitched thread bolt and can be hard to replace. I am sure you will enjoy your new rifle. Show us some completed photos.

Lastly, I love that Eprevure de Liege stamp on the barrel with the PV. I am a fan of Belgium made vintage Hi-Powers.   
Superdort View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superdort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2020 at 8:09am
Hi Donny,

Already taken care of.Wink

It'll be a while before I can get him to the gunsmith. Covid-19 doesn't make life easy here. Anyway we have time and he wasn't expensive to buy. The Guy I bought him from didn't know the value. Converted to Dollar just barely $550 Tongue

Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2020 at 4:18pm
You got a very good deal. Just that USGI mount is worth about $900 USD.
 Post Reply Post Reply