Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Speaking of RTI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Milisock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2020 at 9:45am
Horrible_aim (I believe), I came to this site because first I'm a shooter that carried an M2 in M1A1 configuration for a short time when in the military. I have 2 carbines that I wanted to shoot and or modify but I did not want to disrespect any rare or collectable rifles. Thanks to the people here I'm confident that I have great rifles there are of no collector value.

As far as terminal performance goes a reply is difficult due to regional differences. In the United States there is a healthy reloading community and expanding bulletts for reloading are readily available, good quality expanding bulletts that will expand at 200 yards at 30 Carbine velocities are required for hunting in my opinion. 

Also that performance depends on the ability of the shooter to achieve proper shot placement and the confines of the shooting environment. In my area of the U.S. hunting deer may prohibit the hunter from entering other areas to pursue wounded game so a central nervous system or significant cardiovascular hits are desired. Many people use the 444 Marlin because of this.

With M1 Carbine sights I can easily make central nervous system hits on deer sized game at 100 yards and cardiovascular hits at 200 yards. If I have the room for them to run 100 yards or so after a cardiovascular hit then a Eastern U.S. whitetail 200 yard hunting experiance is ok for me. For me hunting for whitetail deer or smaller game within those parameters is within reasonable boundaries. 

As far as personal protection using the 30 Carbine there are many real world penetration tests on YouTube that demonstrate that the 30 Carbine  within 200 yards is as capable as the 5.56 NATO, M193, M855 and the M855A1 cartridges in the M4 or M16 rifles.
David Milisock
Horrible_Aim View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horrible_Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2020 at 10:36pm
Just received my 3rd carbine from RTI, another "early features" model.

Standard Products, Underwood barrel, IBM birch stock with no rebuild stamps that I could find (only SC-B in the sling well).

I noticed "14 A" stamped on the left side of the receiver under the wood line. Any idea what this is? Couldnt find any information. 
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2020 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Horrible_Aim Horrible_Aim wrote:

Just received my 3rd carbine from RTI, another "early features" model.

Standard Products, Underwood barrel, IBM birch stock with no rebuild stamps that I could find (only SC-B in the sling well).

I noticed "14 A" stamped on the left side of the receiver under the wood line. Any idea what this is? Couldnt find any information. 

Standard Products have a number stamped in that location.
I'm not sure anyone knows for sure what it means, but they run from single digits to teens.

Someone may have more exact data from the carbine newsletters.
Don
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horrible_Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2020 at 7:07am
Thanks 03manV. 

Here are some pics of my carbine right out of the box: https://m.imgur.com/a/F9u6sDf

No cleaning yet, except the stock in the second to last picture. That birch really shines with some Murphy's.

The brown patches are dirt/gunk and not rust. Maybe goat s***, I was brave enough to try smelling but couldn't tell. 
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2020 at 8:30am
Looks interesting, like most of the early featured ones. The rust is there. It builds under what looks like dirt.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horrible_Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2020 at 11:49am
Came right off, no rust. It had the consistency of peanut butter. Must have been cosmoline or oil covered in dirt.

Or goat s****, still haven't ruled that out... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123