The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Guy With "Unissued?" M1 Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoastieEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Guy With "Unissued?" M1 Carbine
    Posted: Apr 25 2020 at 6:32pm
I'm a new member and I just purchased, according to RTI Imports, an "unissued" M1 Carbine.  I don't know if I believe them as there is no proof that says so.  BUT, it is beautiful with no slide wear even covered in cosmoline.  There is a tag on the trigger guard with the s/n hand written and another number (B002659) printed. 

There are also Arsenal refurbish stamps on the left side.

No slide wear.  Only cosmoline smudges.

What does everyone think?
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2020 at 6:39pm
It depends on how one defines “unissued”. The carbine appears to have been rebuilt and not in it’s original unissued configuration. However, it most certainly can be unissued after it left the arsenal. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2020 at 6:54pm
1st off welcome to the forum. RTI's descriptions are their descriptions only, if the carbine that you received is in great looking shape they (RTI) plugged in the appears "unissued" to the description during their grading process. Of course your carbine was issued at some point, it was then rebuilt or at least the stock that is on it was on a carbine that was rebuilt at Anniston Arsenal. It was then sent to Ethiopia via the MAP program. It is in good shape so it is possible that the Ethiopians did not use it much if at all hence "unissued".
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2020 at 9:01pm
Welcome to the forum.
Is the serial number a 4,5,6 or 7 digit number?

Enjoy your purchase!
CoastieEd View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoastieEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2020 at 5:28pm
Thanks for the replies.  Good info.  The s/n is 7 digits which matches the manufacturer stamp on the receiver National Postal Meter.  I am disassembling it now and documenting all the markings with pictures also.
CoastieEd View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoastieEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 2:25pm
Finished cleaning and checking parts.  I can say it is most likely “unissued” from the last time it was arsenal refurbished.  There are two arsenal proof stamps.  One “P” on the grip is from civilian‘ contractor and the other “P” is from U.S. Army Ordinance. The stock is also stamped AN twice from Anniston.  It may have actually been through refurbishment 3 times.  The barrel is thick with parkerizing  coating.  So thick that I can barely slide the barrel band.  
    The trigger housing stamp (Inland marking) is barely readable due to over/repeated sand blasting as is most other marks.  Barrel is Underwood I think 1-44 but is also hard to read, it could be 4-44.  
    The worst thing is the barrel bore.  It is rusty.  After scrubbing repeatedly with a brass brush, the lands and grooves are now clean but only sharp on one side.
   I’ll post more pictures when I can.  I’m not as happy as I thought I would.

Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image