Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone else hunt with an M1 carbine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bungalow Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone else hunt with an M1 carbine?
    Posted: Apr 20 2020 at 5:48pm
In my introductory post I mentioned I got my Universal carbine primarily as a hunter & shooter, not as a collectible. I get it 100% if you don’t want to take your all-matching GI-issue specimen out into the wild, but do any of you hunt with commercial versions?

For those who don’t think the .30 carbine is a suitable medium-game hunting round, I found these photos of GIs supplementing their rations — one from the Pacific and one from Europe — in a book.  

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/5971/1C2ECE22-9093-4EA2-9528-EC360A8D2979B.jpeg

Edited by New2brass - Oct 11 2020 at 12:36pm
shumba View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shumba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2020 at 1:31pm
I have hunted many thing but less exotic than the above with an M1 carbine.  i never felt under gunned.   i did use soft point ammo though. i saw a pic the other day of a fella who took a brown bear with a carbine.    my uncle carried a carbine in New Guinea in WWII along with a mortar tube.   his only complaint i remember was that when the order to fix bayonets came he felt deficient.
Bungalow Bill View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bungalow Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 11:59am
I leave in a couple of days for a 2-week solo trip to West Texas to hunt javelinas and doves. I’m taking my Universal for the javelinas portion — the .30 carbine round with soft points is perfect for javelinas, which top out at about 50 lbs, and hiking through the desert with an M1 carbine is a lot easier than carrying something heavier. 
shumba View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shumba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 1:51pm
sounds like fun.  are you using the iron sights?

look at this
Bungalow Bill View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bungalow Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 3:28pm
Yes, definitely using the iron sights. Mine has the adjustable rear sight, and I made the front sight blade a little taller with a dab of JB Weld.  

I’m not sure I’d go after a bear with my carbine (I did shoot a nice black bear with my Springfield 1903) but I’m seriously considering taking the carbine on a solo deer hunt coming up in December where shots are likely to be inside of 100 yards.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 3:42pm
I don't specifically go hunting with mine but it is always with me on the farm and I have shot an occasional coyote.  
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2020 at 4:08pm
Seen a picture on the old Jouster site but can't remember the username.
Guy had a 300+ Hog on the rear rack of his 4 wheeler shot with a carbine.
It looked huge, I wish I could recall the correct weight. Believe it was in Southern Georgia.

Good Luck and Becareful,
Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply