Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Guy Adventures In Parts Buying

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eight_Ring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Guy Adventures In Parts Buying
    Posted: Apr 19 2020 at 8:25pm
Gentlemen--

I've been trying to find an excellent condition bolt for a (mostly correct) Standard Products carbine. There are apparently plenty of them out there--but they all seem to be missing the Proof mark--the punch mark near the bolt head.

Is there any legitimate reason why an (alleged) USGI bolt in excellent condition (i.e. not worn away) would be missing the proof punch mark?

Have a look, please--and tell me what you think.

This is an offering on EBAY (described as NOS):

Note the punch mark on the right lug--probably a Rockwell hardness test.

A fellow from another board (in perfect innocence I believe) sent me these pictures in response to my WTB posting:

It is important to note that BOTH of these bolts had Standard Products bolt codes struck on the lugs. (edit: removed "correct")

So I began to research where these bolts might be coming from, and I found this:

https://www.sarcoinc.com/m1-carbine-bolt-stripped/

https://www.sarcoinc.com/m1-carbine-bolt-complete/

You'll note the punch mark on the right lug--and of course the lack of a punch mark on the bolt's centerline. Also--note the milling marks along the flat. That seems to be a commonality with these "NOS" bolts.

Here is a picture of a bolt from Riverbank Armory:
http://www.riverbankarmory.com/20111008_35

I think I can see a punch mark on the lug. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway--I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on Proofing punch marks and their absence.

Am I wrong to be skeptical of a bolt without a clear proofing punch mark?

But how much can I even trust a "NOS" bolt even WITH a proofing mark?

And if it is such an obvious tell--why don't all the humpers "proof" mark their bolts?

This has been quite an education for a new guy.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Edited by Eight_Ring - Apr 20 2020 at 9:54am
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2020 at 8:48pm
the top bolt has been sandblasted and refinished at least once. The round marking on the back of the lug is interesting.

The second one looks like it was finished a very long time ago

River bank pictures and what yo get may not be the same thing.

You say correct markings. are they the correct font and size?

Define your usage of NOS. New old stock would be one in unused condition with original finish. these are neither.

the ones Sarco sell are marked as "New Flat (WW2 style)" The machining markings are not consistent with the ones you show above.

Do they both have that circle on the back of the lug? can you post a better picture?

Eight_Ring View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eight_Ring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2020 at 9:09pm
Ah--correct font and size I do not know. I am totally new to this.

Inre: more pics, I only have what I get sent by the seller, and many of them seem artfully out of focus when it comes to critical detail.

Here are some pics of the SP lot numbers:

They seem a little deeply struck to me--but I am an absolute novice with this stuff.

Am I totally off-base expecting to see a proof mark on a carbine bolt?

Did they NOT proof mark spares?
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eight_Ring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2020 at 9:36pm
UPDATE:

I asked the seller of this bolt about the punch mark, and he said that they often didn't have them. then he got back to me, saying that there WAS in fact a punch mark--on the right lug.

Any chance this was a post-war contract thing?

I'm starting to feel like I'm taking crazy pills (lol).

Thoughts?

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2020 at 11:30pm
I've got at least one ot two lovely SP bolts, but not sure which number is acceptable for you. 
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2020 at 5:56am
I don’t think post-war (commercial) bolts were punched anywhere to indicate a hardness test or proof, but one can usually detect casting or mold-marks. My gut on those pictured says authentic, but refinished.

Edited by floydthecat - Apr 20 2020 at 8:34am
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eight_Ring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2020 at 9:15am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

I don’t think post-war (commercial) bolts were punched anywhere to indicate a hardness test or proof, but one can usually detect casting or mold-marks. My gut on those pictured says authentic, but refinished.

Interesting. I had always assumed proof punch was gospel.

Does anybody have any idea where the SARCO bolts originated?

https://www.sarcoinc.com/m1-carbine-bolt-complete/

For the price point would China or Taiwan or Korea be the most likely guesses?

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2020 at 9:30am
The SARCO flat bolts they had pictured, bore the tell-tale circular mold mark under the extractor. They are obviously cast. last time I was on that site, they were out of stock. You can also detect some sharper machining angles like Dan mentioned in his post above. The lug machining just doesn’t look right....too crisp. Just looking at the lug surfaces of the bolts you pictured, I think they are authentic....just not NOS.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eight_Ring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2020 at 9:35am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

The SARCO flat bolts they had pictured, bore the tell-tale circular mold mark under the extractor. They are obviously cast. last time I was on that site, they were out of stock. You can also detect some sharper machining angles like Dan mentioned in his post above. The lug machining just doesn’t look right....too crisp. Just looking at the lug surfaces of the bolts you pictured, I think they are authentic....just not NOS.

Well thank you for weighing in. I absolutely appreciate your input.

Note: I have deleted my ignorant posturing from the opening remarks.

Question for New2Brass: What is it that you find interesting about the round area on the back of the lug? Would consider that a tell that the bolt had been pressure tested--or do you think it indicates something else??
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2020 at 4:51pm
Deleted

Edited by painter777 - Apr 20 2020 at 11:15pm
Living Free because of those that serve.....
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2020 at 5:03pm
We decided mine won't be the correct number for his Carbine. I don't mind keeping them. Thank you, though.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2020 at 11:20pm
the back of the lug in the bolt you pictured appears to have a circular mark. 
Circular Markings are seen on some cast parts from the mold.
USGI bolts were forged and would not have the marking.

The bolts you show appear to be USGI so I find that marking curious.
 Post Reply Post Reply