The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hello from Los Angeles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from Los Angeles
    Posted: Apr 16 2020 at 8:01pm
Only recently got my first Carbine...a 1944 Underwood. Not a collector piece but so far it seems like a good shooter. The previous owner messed up the stock by shellacking it so that it has lost the dull oiled finish they are known for. It also has made it impossible to find markings on the wood. I have not looked at every single part in the weapon since so many were mixed and matched when they retired from service and were serviced by the Arsenal for re-issue. In stead I have been acquiring some spare parts and tools so that I can learn to work on it myself. The flat bolt had been jewel polished by the previous owner and was incorrect to the serial number. I found a very nice Underwood round bolt on eBay and now that is in the gun. The operating rod was very hard to get off. A gun smith found it slightly bent. He straightened for me but I also acquired a later M1/M2 operating rod that is now the primary one, the other held as a reserve part. I've also been loading up on magazines, old and new. So far they all worked very well on the first and only range day I've had before the virus shut down. Once things open up again, I will go out and start zeroing in the sights.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2020 at 8:13pm
Welcome to the forum.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2020 at 8:16pm
Welcome.
BTW, it's called the slide. Your slide was bent.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
PLN-TAP-7 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLN-TAP-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2020 at 3:38am
Hi from France.
I post an answer to your inquiry about French law gun somewhere else.
The stock being "upgraded" with varnish i not that bad as it can be reverted. The danger is when the operator do not care for the markings and goes sand gritting the wood: I know of a beautiful late IBM ( 1944 AO receiver mind you) whose white wood (birch?) had been sand like that and only left a trace of the cross cannons. The recoil plate still sport the varnish coat though!
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2020 at 6:05am
John, welcome to the forum. It would appear you found yourself a nice shooter grade, first carbine. It also sounds like you are enjoying it. I'd recommend you buy Jerry Kuhnhausen's book and best shop manual, The US 30 Caliber Carbines. The folks on this forum have a wealth of knowledge and always are willing to share. I've learm much here.
 Post Reply Post Reply