Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Undated Inland barrel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belfire27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Undated Inland barrel
    Posted: Apr 01 2020 at 12:45pm
Is it true the later 1945 Inland barrels went undated? All the lettering is there except the third line which was the date of manufacture.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2020 at 1:20pm
Undated Inland barrels showed up sporadically throughout their whole production.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2020 at 4:03pm
Same with Saginaw. I have an S'G' 3549*** complete, down to the last freckle but no barrel date.
Disappointing.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

belfire27 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belfire27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2020 at 7:13am
The reason I'm asking is I have an heirloom receiver that was mfg'd in late 1945 and is hand stamped but never used. All I can figure is it walked off the assembly line. Nobody in my family worked for any of the goverment contractors so it's a mystery, and the people who would know are long gone. I have an opportunity to get an undated barrel and put this back together but i want to do it right. After 75 years its going to be put to use. People who know vastly more than me say put the undated barrel on. I'm wondering if, as they got close to the end of production in 45, it's true that undated barrels were used more frequently at Inland.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2020 at 7:50am
If you're undated barrel is good then by all means use that. Just for curiosities' sake, how far back from the muzzle is the proof P? The first one if there's multiple proofs.
belfire27 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belfire27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2020 at 10:35am
It's under the bayonet lug

kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2020 at 12:34pm
If it's under the bayonet lug that barrel would have been used on an earlier Inland. The undated Inland barrels I have actually seen have been on early to mid 6 million serial number production Inlands. There is an article though in the CCNL's #371 about an early Inland M1A1 picked up in France during the war that had an undated barrel. CCNL 374 has a very informative article on undated Inland barrels
 Post Reply Post Reply