Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ethiopian carbines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lostsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 1:50pm
I checked my email everyday and spam folder, nothing from RTI except the two emails when I placed the order.  Then a call from the FFL, my rifle is ready for pickup.
03manV View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03manV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 4:01pm
Did you "register" on their site and create an account?

I did not and didn't receive any email from them other than those you did; I didn't
see that option till way after I ordered.

If not that may be the reason.
Don
Horrible_Aim View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horrible_Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 6:07pm
I didn't receive a shipping email for any of mine, just created an account on their site and hit the refresh button probably 5000 times anticipating the serial number. 
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 6:42pm
Does that mean you ordered through the website and not over the phone?
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Horrible_Aim View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horrible_Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 8:36pm
Ordered 1 over the phone (had some hand select requests) and two over the website. Anything custom like a specific manufacturer needs to be done by phone. 
Ricci1165 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricci1165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 2:54pm
You fellas have my attention now.....I've been collecting for 30 years and have many CMP Carbines, Bavarian Carbines, South Korea MAP carbines......they're like potato chips, just can't have enough!
I'm not excited about the cost of these RTI "IO" carbines, but....they're not selling anywhere else unless you pay out of your butt off of GB....so, I will call on Monday and ask if I can hand pick my own since I reside in state. 
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

So I took the plunge and ordered one of these carbines from RTI. I chose the early option and added a note stating "if possible prefer any manufacturer other that Inland", I knew that they picked a NPM to fill my order as they posted the serial# once it shipped. Today I received the absolutely filthy all original National Postal Meter, unfortunately it is in a S-HB low wood stock. Barrel finish is well worn but the muzzle wear is just under 2, headspace is perfect, sling swivel is bent up a bit but at least it is there. No complaints, but I will be cleaning it for days. 

I got the same stock and bent swivel, and that's fine. SP with cartouche and type I marks is usually a nice thing. And the overall value was fine for the Carbine price. Decided to give it a shot on an 'early production'. Everything sounds the same with the one that arrived, but it had a former (hopefully) infestation of bed bugs. Yes, the stock had hundreds of molted bed bug sheds when I dropped the action out at the FFL's place. Didn't realize that's what they were until a random image popped up in my browser this afternoon after I'd cleaned the grungy thing up. Efing bed bugs. Bed bugs have to live off of blood so that Carbine had to be near some sort of animal. Goats? Rats? Eek. They were all inside the recoil area with some in the slide bucket area.

Anyway, the thing was in such a state of neglect that I went for the acetone to completely strip it to whatever would be left on it for finish, and there was surface rust under all that grime. So keeping the patina wasn't good for it. I scrubbed acetone saturated q-tips or paper towels on the metal, then used wooden toothpicks to further burnish the surfaces because the gunk wouldn't come off without it. Wooden picks burnish the rust down too. A brass brush was lightly utilized too.

Trigger group took 2 hours. Slide took the better part of an hour. Bolt was fine. Receiver took over an hour. I hammered the swivel back to flatness (with a plastic mallet).
I got an Undie, not an Innie or a Winnie or even a Nattie nor Standie. An Undie with flip up sights, .U. op rod and all Undie parts except the stock and hand guard. The recoil plate is an early U marked one. Oh, the round bolt is marked AI.
Last pic. Those are just the sheds in one corner of the box at the FFL's place when I didn't know what they were and wanted a pic to ID them later. I can't understate how many there were today on cleanup. I guess that's a glimpse into the area of Africa where these came from. So the pic of the goat on Mausers might suggest the Carbines were right there too.
Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 11:47pm
@tenOCEE, glad you got the bed bugs and not me! Is that a "T" coded Intertype receiver I see? 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 8:04am
Yes, it's a T that the inspector partially overstamped. These are probably what a Blue Sky refinished Carbine looked like prior to Parking...carried daily for a number of years by sweaty, dirty hands and they weren't cleaned.

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 12:29pm
@ten wow you caved and bought one, didn't think you would from previous comments. All said and done do you think it was worth it?
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 1:16pm
Well, from the start I've posted about being excited about them and told deldriver I knew there were gems in there--like maybe an IP stock on one. Remember I wished they were closer so I could go in person plus document them.

The negs were the descriptions of unissued and excellent or untouched since 1945, which was later corrected to read that Ethiopia didn't issue them and some are rebuilds. I'm "ok" with the value of this one. I'll gamble some. It was interesting to inspect it not knowing what I was going to get after paying.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

The recoil plate is an early U marked one.

How about the butt plate? The S-HB stock that came on mine has a SW recoil plate and a S-S3 butt plate.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 1:32pm
Same butt plate as yours.
Not sure if you can tell but the D tip sling is tied through and around the end of the stock. Both keepers are from some other application.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234