Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Underwood made M1 Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2020 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by zcurtis zcurtis wrote:

I do not want to go to talk about it and sound like an idiot!   At least not to a group of people I know

There are plenty on the auction sites that sounding like an idiot doesn't stop!

This link will help you with the lingo..... just click on the grouping you looking in to for part names:

Edit to add: 
Zcurtis, I believe I can see your Serial number stamped in front of your rear sight.
I have to magnify to see and the view gets fuzzy, but I think I'm right. When your carbine was made it would have had the L shaped 'FLIP REAR SIGHT'. When these were upgraded to a rear adjustable sight (which in many cases covered the serial number in back) many had the serial number stamped where we see yours is now located.

CH-P777

Edited by painter777 - Mar 21 2020 at 10:42pm
Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2020 at 12:20pm
Is there a marking in the slingwell on the left side of the stock?

Is the magazine catch marked M that is underlined or a plain M? Check the area that touches that magazine as there may be markings.

Did you know that the Navy referred to the magazine catch as a "Magazine Lock" in one of their publications? CCNL 235

XX vs. ++ screws:  ++ were used by Winchester and Inland later on in production. The reason people think it is an X is due to the slot cut which many times obliterates one of the + symbols.
Look closely and you will most likely see a remnant of the other +
If you have it check out CCNL 371 article by Chris Albright 

XX do exist, they are humps. It is an example of how far people will go to "correct" a carbine rather then searching for the correct part. The ++ are not uncommon.

*EDIT* to add, I am not saying that the one in question is a XX or fake, hump etc. As a mater of fact a XX would be far rarer than a ++ being that someone is stamping them XX in their basement.

Edited by New2brass - Mar 22 2020 at 1:24pm
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2020 at 1:04pm
zcurtis...a hump is a fake.
zcurtis View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zcurtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2020 at 10:40am
yes the serial number is stamped in front of the sight and it is 2868700
zcurtis View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zcurtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2020 at 10:43am
it is half of an +/X and the other half is lost in the slot just as shown on the above pictures!   this is really cool that everyone is here to point out more and more knowledge on this gun!!   Keep it goint everyone and thank you all!!!
zcurtis View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zcurtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2020 at 10:57am
painter777 the link you sent me shows an adjustable sight, bayonet lug, and the "metal butt at the end of stock"   all this is real to the time? my gun is almost identical to the link you sent first picture has all matching parts. even the flip safety is like mine.   

just really wanting to know more on the weapon. it was bought off of a widow that said her husband brought it home with him from the war and It never got touched. it was EXTREMELY dirty on a table at a garage sale she was having. I left her my number because she said she thought she had the sling and what do you know she called me two days later and gave me the sling and oiler.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12