Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Wanted+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wanted - Receiver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanted - Receiver
    Posted: Mar 12 2020 at 1:57pm
Back in October I had quite a few posts with members about a Carbine I had inherited. All were very helpful and informative. Hadn't done anything with the rifle since then. I recently thought about replacing the unfinished barrel with a finished Parkerized barrel and sent rifle to DGR to break down, inspect and get cost to replace. It turns out the receiver (WRA) needs replaced. Unbeknownst until barrel was removed was that front of receiver had been filed by someone causing barrel to not align index markings properly. Index markings go past alignment when only hand tightened. Does anyone have a receiver for sale? Or, can anyone suggest best reputable place to find one? Want to make sure it is USGI standard since all other parts are. Thanks.  Bob
RES
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2020 at 2:07pm
Talk to Colin on CMP forum. He has lots of receivers at good prices.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2020 at 3:46pm
Yes, Colin has receivers for sale. There is an alternative and I understand the Garand guys are familiar, but the barrel can be peened in the neck area to tighten it up. Another alternative would be shims. Neither of those seem attractive, but they are available. I know a carbine professional (my words) that has used shims and he is a forum member here.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2020 at 5:53pm
How do people feel about shims? Someone on this site sent me some that he punched out for use on an assembly that I had the same issue of over indexing. Been looking for the rest of the shims for several weeks now.
Here's a pic.

Edited by tenOCEE - Mar 12 2020 at 6:46pm
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2020 at 10:55pm
I know a Engineer/collector who uses the washers and stands by them. I can't recall what he made his from.

Other fixes I've heard about are slightly tap/roll the outer top edge of the barrel ring in front of the threads and then it gets crushed back to shape when assembled.

Lastly a series of dimples raised on top of the barrel's shoulder. Like pictured below. I believe I also seen this method in a early CC NL.

My first attempt would be a washer. If it doesn't work.. No harm, no foul and no obvious damage.

I remember seeing a barrel on auction that I asked about that had peened up dimples:

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2020 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

How do people feel about shims? Someone on this site sent me some that he punched out for use on an assembly that I had the same issue of over indexing. Been looking for the rest of the shims for several weeks now.

If you cannot find them I still have some material to pop out more.

Shims are used on some firearms so I see no problem using them if done correctly.
It is a better and more consistent method than punching the shoulder as the coverage is closer to 100% vs. the less then 10% coverage of punch marks. 

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2020 at 3:15pm
Shims are often used to tighten-up S&W revolver end-shake. I have heard of guys using a strand of copper wire in carbine actions, but a shim would be much better.

Dan....do you punch them out, or just have the material? I have a action that is right on the edge of being a little loosie-goosie. It will index, but barely. 
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2020 at 3:31pm
I found them, Dan, at least the remaining thinner ones you punched out for me. If he needs some thin ones I can forward to him.
How did you make these anyway? A press? They seem like a great fix.

EDIT: I can send you a couple, floyd...
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2020 at 4:39pm
PM on the way.

And...thanks!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2020 at 7:21pm
@ Dan and Ten,
I found this old link on the CMP where mention of McMaster-Carr were mentioned in reply #15 as a supplier of Washers, Carbon Steel and Brass.

Steel: 0.002 thick, 3/4" ID, 1-1/8th OD Part Number: 3088a164
Steel: 0.003 thick,  3/4" ID, 1-1/8th OD Part Number: 3088a184

Stainless, Brass and Aluminum are also listed.
Here is a link to their Washer/Ring Shims listings below....

McMaster-Carr:
Carbon Steel ones start about 1/2 way down the page link. Brass near the bottom.

HTH,
Charlie-Painter777

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2020 at 8:35am
I use a shim punch jig. i made up a bushing that centers the precious cut piece to wind up with a washer.

Charlie, thanks for the link. I used to have a local machine shop supply that I could get them at. Time sent them the way of the dinosaur.
Shim Punch & Die Set   Type: Punch & Die Set    Diameter Range (Inch): 1/8 - 3/4
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2020 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by rstilley rstilley wrote:

Back in October I had quite a few posts with members about a Carbine I had inherited. All were very helpful and informative. Hadn't done anything with the rifle since then. I recently thought about replacing the unfinished barrel with a finished Parkerized barrel and sent rifle to DGR to break down, inspect and get cost to replace. It turns out the receiver (WRA) needs replaced. Unbeknownst until barrel was removed was that front of receiver had been filed by someone causing barrel to not align index markings properly. Index markings go past alignment when only hand tightened. Does anyone have a receiver for sale? Or, can anyone suggest best reputable place to find one?

rstilley,
Thought I'd pull up your first post about this one so it's all in one spot.
Along with the link to your pictures.

Question for you...... Did the Carbine function/shoot when you first inherited it ?

Good Safe Weekend Thumbs Up

Charlie-Painter777
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2020 at 4:56am
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

[QUOTE Question for you...... Did the Carbine function/shoot when you first inherited it ?

Good Safe Weekend Thumbs Up

Charlie-Painter777

Charlie has an interesting question. Depending on how far off the timing is, it may have functioned just fine. Some people swear by the alignment marks and others don’t. I view the marks as “good enough for government work” and are correct most of the time. However, the carbine can function just fine if they are a little off.  I think that if we knew how far off they were it would help with the diagnosis here. Based on a clock-face, each minute-mark is 6-degrees. Can you screw the barrel in and determine how far it’s off? As opposed to spending a bunch of $, a little peening or shimming may fix your problem as long as head space can be achieved. I just went thru this with a action that would index on the marks, but very mushy in fit. A 15-degree shim made all the difference in the world. I slightly under-rotated the index marks to better align the rear sight in the process. Carbines will function flawlessly with the index marks out of alignment...within reason.

Edited by floydthecat - Mar 21 2020 at 7:23am
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2020 at 3:26pm
Also wondering why he thought the Marlin barrel was unfinished?

Is a picture of the WRA receiver and it's 'File marks' available?

Charlie-Painter777
 Post Reply Post Reply