The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member in Arizona

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren369 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member in Arizona
    Posted: Feb 03 2020 at 10:21pm
Good evening all. Thank you for welcoming me to the M1 Carbine forum. 

I currently own several vintage rifles including my M1 Carbine. Since I bought this one, I've been intrigued with researching the variations and taking in as much information about them as I can. I'm fairly new to these and hopefully don't bore to many of you with noob questions. 

Again, thank you for adding me! Warren
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2020 at 10:46pm
Hi Warren and welcome to the Club!

Nice looking carbine you have there. I'm guessing a SG?
JackP
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2020 at 11:03pm
Welcome to the forum.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Warren369 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren369 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2020 at 11:13pm
Thank you. It's an Inland. Reading through some threads, I did the "by it on a whim" because I really like the one my neighbor owns. I'll add the story sometime but I thought I was buying a Universal or reproduction, as a shooter, brought it home and was pleasantly surprised! 

Edited by New2brass - Feb 04 2020 at 1:11pm
Warren369 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren369 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2020 at 11:14pm
Thank you!
Warren369 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren369 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2020 at 11:20pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2020 at 12:48am
Warren, looks like your rear sight is installed backwards.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2020 at 6:31am
Welcome aboard Warren; good looking Inland. Any markings inside the sling well or right side of buttstock?
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2020 at 8:22am
Welcome.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2020 at 8:45am
Welcome Warren. Good looking Inland.

Agree with Wayne, rear sight is on backwards. Do a search on this forum; there are several discussions about the correct mounting of the rear flip sight. 
Semper Fi, Bruce
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2020 at 10:16am
Welcome to the forum from SE VA.
Warren369 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren369 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2020 at 10:31am
Well that's good to know! It's basically in as bought condition. Yet another reason I joined here. Looking forward to tearing it down soon to ID everything, and figure out the type it is and maybe make it as correct as possible. I really just wanted a shooter when I bought it so i'm not sure which way i'll go with it. Seems like there's an abundance of parts available. I do know the stock is incorrect based on the slingwell opening marks. It may even be faked based on how nice it is and stamped.
Thank you all for your input!

Edited by New2brass - Feb 04 2020 at 1:12pm
Warren369 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren369 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2020 at 10:34am
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2020 at 10:49am
That's a super nice "incorrect" stock to have on your Inland. The cartouche and slingwell markings ( for Standard Products ) look good to me. On your rear sight, is there an S or similar marking on the left hand side and if not what's the marking on the right side? Just trying to figure out if the base is installed wrong or is the leaf is reversed.
Warren369 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren369 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2020 at 8:23pm
looks like the leaf is reversed. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2020 at 9:26pm
Yep, the leaf is reversed. Any markings on the front of the shorter leaf?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Warren369 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren369 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2020 at 10:32pm
Easy fixed. Under small leaf. 
Warren369 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren369 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2020 at 10:43pm
Since i've literally only had this for about a month, I'm going to break the carbine down tonight and see if I can get a list of markings together. Ive seen an extensive data base here that will be very helpful. I could use some help in identifying the Type. Is there a month and year, or a serial number break that identifies type 1, type 2, type 3, etc? 
538745 serial number.

Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2020 at 11:07pm
The types are characteristics of specific parts on the carbine. You have a type 1 sight as a flip. Your hammer is a dogleg so it will be type 1 or 2. If your stock has an I Oiler slot and high wood where the slide is it would be type 1. Cylindrical Oiler slot and high wood would be type 2. Cylindrical Oiler slot and low wood would be type 3. The carbine club data sheet can provide much of the information and here is a link to that. http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/carbine-club-data-sheets_topic26.html
Any other questions you may have feel free to ask. Hope this helps in your quest to understand what you have.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2020 at 11:19pm
Agree with Jt22453, filling out a data sheet is a great way to learn about the parts in your Carbine, which is looking pretty good. Also see the below link for info on parts differences.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/parts.html
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply