The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member from Tucson, Arizona

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member from Tucson, Arizona
    Posted: Jan 21 2020 at 1:21pm
Greetings all. My association with these wonderful firearms goes back many years: I was first issued, and fired one as a member of the USAF in December 1950. I am here to learn more about them and contribute as much to the discourse as I can. My main interest is in post WWII rebuilds. 

Thank you, 
James

Edited by Jamesicus - Jan 25 2020 at 8:30pm
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2020 at 1:28pm
Welcome to the forum!
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2020 at 1:44pm
Hi James and welcome to the Club from New Mexico!

I'm anxious to hear more about your experiences as a small arms instructor.
JackP
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2020 at 1:55pm
James, Welcome to the forum. Nice start on your "small" website, love the 1st hand info that you provide from your own experience.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2020 at 1:56pm
Welcome!

Most of us never tire from reading about others experiences with the carbine. Any information is meaningful, especially first hand veteran experiences.
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2020 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

Hi James and welcome to the Club from New Mexico!

I'm anxious to hear more about your experiences as a small arms instructor.
Thank you jackp. In answer to your request: I will skim over the small details. I was a charter member of the USAF Marksmanship School when it was formed in 1958 (AFSC 75250 I believe) and was NCOIC of the “How to Instruct” division. I was a member of the Instructor High Power rifle team (not the Air Force team) shooting the M1 rifle - I fired NRA matches competitively or performed as Chief Range Officer for many years. During the periods covered by my web pages (stateside and overseas assignments) I was a TSGT (7 level) Technician and, as SAMTU NCOIC more of an Administrator than an instructor - supervisor of small arms (pistol and rifle) training and qualification; supervision of military and civilian range personnel; training and supervision of Base competitive pistol, small bore rifle, and high power rifle competition teams; custodian of all service and competition guns, ammunition and equipment ……… and so on ( I have forgotten many tasks and assignments I had). So you see, not a whole lot of small arms Marksmanship instructing during that time!

Edited by Jamesicus - Jan 25 2020 at 8:31pm
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2020 at 3:48pm
thank you for the warm welcome Jt22453, W5USMC and Floyd the cat.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2020 at 3:49pm
Good afternoon James,
Welcome!
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2020 at 4:20pm
please excuse my mentioning my web pages in my previous post - I didn’t read the protocol properly. My mind has turned to mush since I turned ninety! Here is some of the information I should have posted

Edit: I feel foolish - everything I wrote here is covered in great detail on the Rebuild and Stock information pages of this web site better and in greater detail. I neglected to read those pages before I wrote this post - please accept my apologies for that.

Edited by Jamesicus - Jan 25 2020 at 11:43pm
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2020 at 4:27pm
…………… and here is the second part, sorry!

The following random notes are based on my experiences as a United States Air Force Small Arms Marksmanship Instructor/Technician - and as NCOIC of Base Small Arms Marksmanship Training Units (SAMTU) & Firing Ranges - during the late 1950s and early 1960s when the US Cal. 30 Carbine was used for annual marksmanship training and qualification firing by enlisted personnel.

Typical USAF Firing Range (Post-WWII Rebuild) M1 Carbine

All of our Firing Range carbines were post-WWII rebuilds.

We had a substantial inventory of carbines, maybe over two hundred - I cannot remember the exact number (it has been so long ago) - but sufficient to allow frequent rotation in order to provide carbines in optimum condition for each day's training and qualification firing. The great majority were M1 models although we did have several M2 (semi-automatic/automatic select fire) models that we used for Security Police/Marksmanship Instructor training and qualification firing.

Our Range Instructor staff (normally consisting of about three NCOs and four Airmen - variable due to overseas assignment rotation) conducted annual Marksmanship training and qualification firing for Base enlisted personnel usually five days per week (morning and aftertnoon relays - Monday through Friday) almost every week of the year.

They were also responsible for Range Carbine inspection and maintenance.

The governing document for Marksmanship Training, Qualification Firing and Carbine Care & Cleaning was FM 23-7/AFM 50-4, January 1952.

Prior to annual qualification firing, airmen were routed to the range classroom where a refresher course in safe handling of the carbine, firing range pocedures and principles of marksmanship (position, sight alignment, trigger squeeze and breath control) was provided.

(coffee stained copy)

FIRING RANGE CARBINE USAGE

Our carbines were in constant hard use but they were maintained in excellent condition.

CLEANING, LUBRICATION, PROTECTION & INSPECTION

After annual qualification firing, relays were routed to the range classroom where each individual was required to disassemble (field strip), clean, lubricate and re-assemble the carbines they had just fired IAW the provisions of FM 23-7/AFM 50-4, January 1952 and under the supervision of Small Arms Marksmanship Instructors.

We provided all cleaning equipment and materials (cleaning rods, brushes, patches, rags, bore cleaner, lubricants, etc.)

Operations

Disassembly - into major groups: Barrel and Receiver, Trigger Housing, Operating Slide, Bolt, Stock and Handguard.

Cleaning & Lubrication - all metal parts (including bore) were cleaned and lubricated using cleaner, rifle bore and oil, lubricating, preservative, special..

Assembly - groups were re-assembled in reverse order and carbine exterior wiped down using soft dry rags.

Stock Protection - Oil, linseed, raw was applied to wood as determined by Small Arms Marksmanship Instructors.

NOTE: Only a very small amount of raw linseed oil was applied - I have always used just a couple of drops on each side of the stock - spread evenly over the entire stock and handguard then very well rubbed into the wood - all by bare hand. When applied in this manner the stock will be dry to the touch overnight.

Inspection - for correct assembly & function by Small Arms Marksmanship Instructors and for identification of worn parts requiring Field Maintenance by the range staff or Depot replacement.

Edited by Jamesicus - Jan 25 2020 at 11:44pm
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2020 at 8:42pm
James, welcome to the forum Achieving the age of 90 is quite the accomplishment. Congrats! Glad you are here posting.
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2020 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Donnie Donnie wrote:

James, welcome to the forum Achieving the age of 90 is quite the accomplishment. Congrats! Glad you are here posting.
Thank you Donnie.
 Post Reply Post Reply