The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Range Report, 3rd M-1 Carbine Rebuilt By Fulton Ar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Range Report, 3rd M-1 Carbine Rebuilt By Fulton Ar
    Posted: Jan 17 2020 at 4:58pm

This is the 3rd Carbine I've had reworked by Fulton Armory. This particular rifle is a "Howa" Made in Japan model produced for the Royal Thai Police between 1960's and imported into the US in the 90's. Howa's are considered "commercial" grade Carbines by collectors but of high quality.

Howa made their own receivers for the Thai order but evidently also used leftover USGI receivers on the order. When I first purchased this rifle last year it was thought on the Carbine Collectors forum that this was a USGI Winchester made receiver.

Fulton Armory confirmed this when they started work on the Carbine. The receiver was refinished by Howa and the only markings on it were the Howa RTPD serial number and the NHM CO SAC CA import marking on the right side of the receiver under the rear sight. This is how FA had to enter it in their logs,

I had them install a new barrel, keeping the 1944 Inland barrel the importer installed on the carbine and having that recrowned. I also had a new production bolt installed and the Howa production bolt rebuilt.

FA replaced worn parts as needed. Since Howa used cast parts for the trigger group they replaced the hammer with a new one.

On to the range, 200 round test using PPU 110gn FMJ. 1st 50 rounds no issues. 2nd 50 rounds I had 1 FTF on round 58 but I believe that was me jiggling the mag while I was holding the rifle.

I swapped mags to be sure and ran the next 100 rounds no problems

This is the last 100 rounds at 25 yards standing. I had to change lanes at the local indoor range I used because the target track cable broke (evidently the 2nd time this week for that lane).

I also tested the 1st mag I had problems with again and had no issues.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2020 at 2:33pm
Ok, made the range again today, 250 rounds testing mags

1st 100 rounds 25 yards, again using PPU 110 gn. 1st mag tested is the one I had issues with Friday, it ran fine (headshots) 50 rounds loading 10 rounds at a time so I figure it's ok for range work.

Bottom 50 I test a new Korean mag from a stash I bought from AIM Surplus. 2 10 round checks and 2 15 round checks no problems, I figure it goes in the "good" pile for future testing.

2nd 100 rounds checking mags. Top target I check a 2nd new Korean mag with no issues, same deal as the 1st...marked for farther use.

Bottom 50 rounds I try a USGI mag and run into my 1st problems. FTF on round 25 and stovepipe on 45 out of 50, this mag goes into the "problem" pile and gets worked on down the road.

Last 50 rounds using the mag that came with my Fulton Armory Carbine. 1 FTE on this one on loading 15 rounds. I check the mag and try again loading 15 rounds no problems but run out of ammo to run another check.

I think next range session this rifle I'll try a different brand ammo. I seem to have more problems with PPU than I do other brands, plus I'll test some more Korean mags. My USGI ones are getting long on the tooth and so far the KCI Korean mags seem like they run well in every Carbine I test them on
 Post Reply Post Reply