Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Modified Operating Slide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRBrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modified Operating Slide
    Posted: Jan 16 2020 at 4:26pm
Any thoughts on why this operating slide was modified?  The right hand side has been milled down by almost 50%, to about 0.100 inches thick.  I checked the other operating slide that I have out at this time and the right side is about 0.192 inches thick. 

The milling job is rough, but looks like it was done carefully.  The only marking on the slide is the number 7160091 on the bottom which I suspect is a part number.  Has anyone else seen a slide modified like this?  Any thoughts on if the slide is safe to use?

Jim   
Jim B.
JRBrid View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRBrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2020 at 4:28pm
Not sure what happened but one of the pictures of the slide didn't post --- of course, it would be the one that shows how thin the right hand side is.  Here it is:

Jim B.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2020 at 4:37pm
Maybe lightened for a caliber conversion of some sort. I have one that has weight added to it in a 9mm carbine. Gas operated just like the Caliber-30. 
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2020 at 4:43pm
It was modified to allow fully automatic fire in an M2. It may or may not work depending upon how carefully the milling was done. It will work fine in an M1.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2020 at 5:12pm
I think someone likes to rock and roll.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2020 at 6:24pm
Check part number 7161843 and compare :)
JRBrid View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRBrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2020 at 4:56am
So, based on Riesch's book, this is possibly a Type V slide that was modified to the M2 or Type VI configuration by milling.  Is there any information available on who would have done the modification?

Jim 
Jim B.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2020 at 6:08am
Were T6 slides hard to come by at some point? I have had two just by accident.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2020 at 8:03am
some slides were remachined by rebuild facilities or may have subcontracted the work.
I am sure many may have been done overseas. 

No problem using a late slide, original or modified, in a M1 carbine. All parts were backward compatible 

I have heard that the FA crowd plays with slide and lever combinations to fine tune the carbine
 Post Reply Post Reply