Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

USGI Headspace Gauge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRBrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USGI Headspace Gauge
    Posted: Jan 15 2020 at 5:04pm
Recently purchase a lot of carbine parts from an online auction.  Was surprised to find this among the items in the lot:

I've tried repeatedly, but I haven't been able to get a photo with my phone that makes the markings visible.  The headspace gauge is marked as follows in six lines:

Carbine Cal. 30
M1, M1A1    M2 & M3
Headspace 1.291
41-G-199-176
Ord. Dept. U.S.A.

Although it doesn't say so, it appears that this is a go gauge.  Using my digital calipers, I measaure the length as 1.290 inches.

Jim 
Jim B.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2020 at 5:47pm
Nice Jim, I would love to have that in my collection of Carbine stuff!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2020 at 8:47am
Note; No way will a cell phone camera replace a real camera for precision work!
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
JRBrid View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRBrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2020 at 3:14pm
I agree, but my digital camera is out of service due to a broken pin in the SD card socket.  Until I can get it fixed, or afford a new one, the cell phone will have to do.

Jim 
Jim B.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2020 at 5:09pm
Nice find. NO expert on photo taking but chalk may help the markings stand out and is also easily removed.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2020 at 7:58am
many cell phones will focus where you touch the screen. Some can be set to focus at that point then take the picture reducing shake.

cameras do better with ample indirect light. Move closer to window or outside may help
 Post Reply Post Reply