Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IBM Feedback/Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thearn99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IBM Feedback/Question
    Posted: Jan 14 2020 at 4:17pm
We have had this in our family for years. Looking for any information on its history and potential value. We believe it to be from WW2- Thank You

TJH
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2020 at 5:01pm
You would be correct in believing it to be from WW2. Pictures of some of some of the other markings would yield more information, such as if it is all IBM or a mix of parts or even the originality of it.
thearn99 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thearn99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2020 at 6:16pm
Here are some others that I took-thank youank You
TJH
thearn99 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thearn99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2020 at 6:19pm
TJH
thearn99 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thearn99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2020 at 6:20pm
TJH
thearn99 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thearn99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2020 at 6:20pm
TJH
thearn99 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thearn99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2020 at 6:21pm
TJH
thearn99 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thearn99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2020 at 6:23pm
TJH
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2020 at 6:36pm
Pretty nice looking IBM carbine. Most if all of the coloration is correct for an IBM carbine, but of course I don't see any info on parts marking so I'm not necessarily going to say it's original as issued but I sort of think it
very much could be. Nice carbine with a real rear flip sight...congrats.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2020 at 6:51pm
Very nice and a C-tip sling too.   Can you get some pics of the trigger housing, slide, bolt?  If you can't get pics of the bolt markings at least see what's on it.  It would be good to do a data sheet and then you'll have a list of what you have.  That should help with its "potential value" you asked about.
thearn99 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thearn99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2020 at 8:05am
Took a few more the best I could do without taking apart
TJH
thearn99 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thearn99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2020 at 8:06am
TJH
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2020 at 8:13am
Thank you for sharing, but tThe camera is focusing on your jeans.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
thearn99 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thearn99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2020 at 8:34am
Sorry- Will give it another try when I get a chance
TJH
Jt22453 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jt22453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2020 at 9:35am
You have a type 4 brazed trigger housing which is all IBM used in production so it is likely that is correct. The only way to know the answers to the questions you would like to know is to take it apart and verify what’s what. If you are uncomfortable with that there are videos on YouTube or you could take it to a gunsmith and have it looked over. They could make sure everything is in good shape and would probably write down what the parts were if you asked them to. Should be marking in the sling well you can see and on the right sided the stock a crossed cannons cartouche if you have one.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2020 at 9:52am
I don't have any photo bandwidth left here so I'll just have to describe it...the last image in your first post shows the rear sight overhead. On the let side of the flip sight at the front there is a dark spot that looks like it's peeking out from under the sight. Perhaps a close up there?  The Carbine looks crisp in the first images and I don't expect that it's adjustable sight staking but just trying to clarify.

On a gunsmith, I'd probably suggest just doing it yourself. Because nobody will take care about it as much as you and given the knowledge of 'smiths these days you will be wasting time and money as you educate them what they're looking at.

When you loosen the swivel screw you can press the barrel band spring BUT NOT WITH METAL and the band slides forward. I use a plastic Bic pen cap. Be ready to catch the stock and carbine action which will drop right out when it slides forward. Put a rag on your jeans, put the Carbine on the rag and slide the band forward. Often times the action is sooty and oily from not being cleaned so a rag to protect your clothes is suggested. That's all it takes to see most of the insides. One screw.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
thompal View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thompal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2020 at 10:06pm
I managed to pick up an IBM M1 Carbine a couple of months ago.  The barrel is marked IBM 10-43, and the receiver is marked IBM.  But I don't find any markings on the stock.  The top of the bolt on mine is considerably flatter than the one pictured further up in this thread.
How do I find out if it's had an arsenal rebuild?  It shoots like a dream.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2020 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by thompal thompal wrote:

How do I find out if it's had an arsenal rebuild?  It shoots like a dream.

Welcome to the forum. Start a new thread and post some pictures of your Carbine. Read the below link about post war rebuild.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/postwar.html
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
TwoGunChuck View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoGunChuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2020 at 5:49am
Looks great!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2020 at 8:50am
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

I don't have any photo bandwidth left here so I'll just have to describe it...

Space bumped up
 Post Reply Post Reply