The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stock cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2020 at 6:18pm
I'd like to thank EVERYONE who provided advice & input!

I'm gonna have to get some Murphy Oil Soap and give it a whirl. The soot/carbon/gun-gas build-up on the interior of my stock has me perplexed. I tried a bit of rubbing alcohol, with very limited success. Once clean, my plan is to treat it with & as the rest of the stock, so it cleans off easily after each visit to the range. I've got to field-strip it anyway, so why not go the extra foot (not a mile, by any measure).

James, it must bring tears to your eyes knowing that most of those carbines you cared for so diligently have gone to carbine heaven. Is that photo of one of the racks you supervised? If so, I noticed a lack of slings. Why?

Thanks again to all who posted. More to follow...
Karl, 68 coupe
NPM, 43
Universal, 80
Kahr 1827-A1 Thompson 2019
SA M1 Garand 42
AO 1911A1
Taurus PT1911
Beretta M92(compact)
Jamesicus View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamesicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2020 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by 68coupe 68coupe wrote:

…………… James, it must bring tears to your eyes knowing that most of those carbines you cared for so diligently have gone to carbine heaven ……………
Well, Karl, I do have nostalgic moments. Those Carbines had served our country well for many years. Many of those I discuss here were veterans of WWII, The Korean War - and several years of day in and day out qualification firing - and constant dissassembly and assembly. What a great weapon! Uncle Sam certainly got his moneys worth! I was always impressed how well they held up in all kinds of weather and conditions with very little maintenance - Firing Range Carbines do take a beating. But all things come to an end. In the period I describe here, the Carbine was on its way out as the USAF standard issue shoulder weapon - to be replaced by the AR15/M16 rifle. When I departed Yokota AB in 1963 (or 1964, my memory fails me here) at the conclusion of my tour of duty the Range crew was already preparing to turn-in the Carbines and redoing their training lesson plans to accommodate M16 Training and qualification firing. When I arrived at George AFB (California) to take over as NCOIC of the Firing Range and Small arms Marksmanship Training there, the M16s were already in place (or soon to be) and we had to set about redesigning and rebuilding the firing range to accommodate it. The end of an era!

Quote …………… Is that photo of one of the racks you supervised? If so, I noticed a lack of slings, why?……………

It is from AF Manual 50-25: Small Arms Ranges - we had several similar racks at our Yokota AB firing range. Slings were not used for qualification firing: IAW FM 23-7/AFM 50-4 …………… “The carbine sling is used for carrying purposes only”.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12